Palau Grüel

Palau Grüel - The facade

Palau Grüel Barcelona Reviews

tj1777 tj1777
Early Gaudi creation Oct 18, 2013
The Palau Grüel is one of Gaudi’s first creations in Barcelona. It is located just of La Rambla in the central part of Barcelona so you might just drop by and have a look if you are wondering along La Rambla anyways. It was commissioned by Gaudi’s patron Grüel who gave him a lot of work and he started working on this palace in the 1880s.

This was the first of Gaudi’s creation I saw on my trip to Barcelona - and it is easy to see this is a different style from any of the more normal architects which has built the rest of the city. The façade is a bit crazy with all sorts of strange decorations on the wall.

You can get into the palace if you want to pay the entrance fee of I think €10. I had the intention to go and see the Familia Sagrada the next day so I figured the entrance fee was a bit too steep for me so I would skip the inside of the palace. Though there is a distinct advantage going in here compared to Familia Sagrada - there is hardly any line so you can go straight in if you like and is probably not crowded inside either.
Bird on the facade