4123 State Street, Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Palapa Santa Barbara Reviews

keeweeset keeweeset
Ask for the hot salsa not the regular one ;) Jun 28, 2008
Palapa is a Mexican restaurant on upper State Street and you are likely to find mostly locals in this area.

I really enjoyed the shrimp caldo, which had an abundance of shrimp as well as vegetables and it came with chopped onions, cilantro, and lemon that I could add myself. We had the choice between flour or corn tortillas. Next time I’d like to try the meatball caldo, which they had unfortunately run out of last time we were there. My boyfriend had the combination plate with the cheese enchilada and chili relleno with refried beans and red rice. He enjoyed the home made hot sauce and it was indeed hot.

Last time we had been there I had the chicken burrito and I liked that, too. It was huge I could not eat all of it, so I had the rest to go. My boyfriend tried the goat meat sandwich, which came with fries, and really enjoyed it. I tried some of it and found it quite tasty, too. I can't really describe how it tasted though, all I can say is that it had a richer flavour than other meats, and it reminded me a bit of pork.

The waiters were always polite and helpful and as soon as we sat down one of them brought us chips and salsa. The restaurant also offers different Mexican soda pops, beers and my favourite Jamaica, which is a non-alcoholic drink made with hibiscus flowers. When the weather is good you can sit outside on the patio next to palm trees.
vances says:
You have my mouth watering, Carole. We got spoiled in Corpus Christi and can't find a decent Mexican restaurant to save our lives in NC. I LOVE chili rellenos!
Posted on: Jun 28, 2008