Palacio Real

Madrid, Spain

Palacio Real Madrid Reviews

DjCali DjCali
Guided tour of the royal palace Jun 10, 2015
If you love history and interior design, this is a must-see. I paid 14€ for the guided tour. I was thinking, yikes that's a lot for a walk through but I found the rooms to be stunning and our guide had a wealth of information to share. Incidentally, I chose the Spanish tour- great practice! While the Palacio Real doesn't come close to the grandeur of Versailles, it is a beautifully preserved palace with vividly colored fabrics and very elaborate gilding. FYI there are over 200 beautiful clocks in the palace.

As noted by other reviewers, the palace is still used regularly - the king and queen presided over a state dinner for Paraguay just yesterday. We were very fortunate to see the priceless collection of Stradivarius instruments that were to be played in the afternoon concert in the Salón de Columnas.

TIP- According to our guide, concerts are held regularly (including organ concerts in the royal chapel) and open to the public for a nominal fee.

After visiting the palace, you can take a tour of the Almudena Cathedral right across the courtyard. I was fascinated by the colorful ceiling.
A painting of the royal family
El salón de columnas
El comedor de gala (used for state…
El salón de tronas (the receiving…
Vikram Vikram
Madrid's jewel - not a patch on Versailles though! Oct 23, 2012
Palacio Real de Madrid is always mentioned as one of Madrid's highlights, and rightfully so. Nestled in the heart of the old town, it's actually very easy to get to, and visitors are first greeted by the Plaza de Oriente which connects the East side of the palace to Teatro Real.

I went there on a sunny and really nice day, which also means lots of tourists! The best part is that this is covered by the Madrid Pass, so I didn't have to part with an additional 10E.

As ever, you walk through security, they do a baggage check and off you go to the broad vast and atmospheric courtyard. On a sunny day, this is magnificent. It's really magnificence in nothingness. I quickly made my way to the office to pick up a map - turns out that you have to pay for it! So decided to pass (the palace didn't look that hard to navigate anyway!)

The first section by the side of the Info Centre is the apothecarry. Surprising as it may sound, I actually like apothecarries because it's kind of interesting to see how medicines were made and stored back in the day.

Started making my way through the royal apartments. Remember that the King and Queen do still use this, just don't live here fulltime. The Grand Staircase, the porcelein room, the room with lots of tapestries, it was really all very nice and at times reminded me of the Medici Palace in Firenze, but yet lacked the glamour I've seen in other bigger European royal houses and palaces.

After some time here, I headed down to the Armoury - again, nothing new and nothing big. Lots of people here, it felt rushed because of narrow doors and people crowding through it. I actually couldn't wait to leave it.

I'd spent about 1 hr in here, so it was time to head back to the courtyard. The sun was shining, it really had all the makings of a lovely day so I frankly couldn't wait to get out and about. It was already about 1130am anyway....
Detail of the facade. Reccared II …
Vikram says:
LOL Vance!
vances says:
The porcelain room? Is that where royal flushes occur???

kyle81 says:
Good one Vikram. Keep the hits coming buddy!
FoxyFauz FoxyFauz
Palacio Real de Madrid Nov 10, 2012
I did not read much about Spain’s main palace prior to my visit.

As this is the official residence of the Spanish Royal Family (but only for ceremonial state events), the security here is tighter than in Versailles. We are therefore not allowed to take photographs in the Palace, which is a pity as the rooms are so beautiful. So I ended up buying postcards of my favourite rooms in the Palace after the visit.

The Palace can be seen from a far as it kinds of sits on a hill, I read that it was built on a 9th century fortress. I absolutely loved the exterior colour of this baroque Palace.

We were allowed access to many rooms (I lost count!), we did not take a guide tour and there was no pamphlet in English available, so were just walking from room to room!

Royal Library

Royal Pharmacy

Royal Armory (my favourite)

Royal Dining Hall

Royal Throne Room

Antechamber of Charles III

Reception area of Charles III

Gasparini Room (my favorite)

Porcelain Room (my favorite)

I especially loved the Gaspirini Room. The walls and ceilings were filled with embroidery . Imagine that! So it is not just the curtains and bedspread or table linen or carpets. So you can see the beautiful texture it displays altogether. If only I could touch it! Parts of the carpets were rolled up so you can see how thick the carpets are. The tapestries are simply magnificent; the intricate carving of the furniture and the ceilings. I wonder how long it takes to a complete just one room with such intricate detailing. Well, the Kings of Spain are known to splurge on Palaces right? This explains why the rooms display abundance of wealth. So much gold everywhere!

Another room that was my favourite is the Armor Room which seems more like a gallery than a room. The Spanish Armada was World Famous for its acquisition of gold and silver from its conquest of the New World, so such wealth is clearly displayed in the Armor room. The details done on the armor for the Knights and the horses! Such detailing will only add weight no? They looked so heavy but very nice. Truly excellent workmanship.

To conclude, it was definitely worth the visit. The excellent display of rich tapestries, silverware, porcelain, rich architectural design, everything was simply luxurious. Truly fitting for a Royal Palace.
Exterior of Palacio Real
Exterior of Palacio Real
Me at Courtyard of Palacio Real
Me at the Courtyard of Palacio Rea…
westwind57 says:
Yeah, they have a very rich history, nice reading :)
Posted on: Nov 10, 2012
jessicabel jessicab…
Beautiful well worth seeing Jul 18, 2011
Its a very beautiful palace. You can do a self guided tour for 10 Euros or 5 is your a student. Otherwise there are the headsets for 4 Euros or a guided tour for 15 Euros. Its a must when visiting Madrid, it takes probably 2 hours and is a great way to start sightseeing.
Vlindeke Vlindeke
Royal Palace with art treasures Feb 26, 2010
The Royal Palace is an impressive building in the city centre of Madrid. Entering the main courtyard (Plaza de Armas) is breathtaking.

This is the official residence of the royal family, but they are not living here. You can visit the state apartments (Main Staircase, Hall of Columns, Throne Room, Gasparini Room, Gala Dining Room and the Royal Chapel), the pharmacy and the armoury.

Some of the treasuries: tapestries, Goya portraits, clocks, furniture, porcelain and Stradivarius violins!

Some practical information about the Royal Palace (Feb. 2010):

• Opening hours: in winter from 9.30 am – 5.00 pm (Sundays and holidays 9.00 am – 2.00 pm), in summer from 9.00 am – 6.00 pm (Sundays and holidays 9.00 am – 3.00 pm)

• Closed January 1 & 6, May 1 & 15, October 12, November 9, December 24, 25 & 31

• Also closed during official ceremonies (without prior warning)

• Admission € 8 (free on Wednesdays for EU citizens)

• Audio tour € 3

Unfortunately it is not allowed to take photos inside the palace.

More information at: (partly in English, mostly in Spanish)
Royal Palace from Plaza de Oriente
Plaza de Armas
Plaza de Armas
Cafeteria Palacio Real (with a pho…
JP-NED says:
De Spaanse steden blijven natuurlijk altijd de moeite waard om te bezichtigen. Madrid, weer geheel anders dan de andere steden, maar met een eigen sfeer en karakter.
Posted on: Jun 07, 2010
Vlindeke says:
I agree Sarah!
Posted on: Mar 09, 2010
sarahsan says:
I visited the palace a few years ago! It´s absolutely worth a visit!
Posted on: Mar 09, 2010
Miranda-Maas Miranda-…
Richness in Madrid May 23, 2008
Another great place to visit in Madrid! The Palacio Real is a beautiful palace were the royals still work on official occasions. You can visit the old living parts of the palace and they are really worth it. I can recommend you to do this with an audio tour or a guided tour. Other wise you'll walk by a lot of beautiful things and you won't hear anything about the history. You won't like it as much then. The rooms are all very beautiful and there's also an exhibition of wall carpets and military stuff (i suppose that's nice to see as well but i'm not so interested in that).
Pearl510 Pearl510
Jul 11, 2007
The entrance for the Palacio Real of Royal Palace is free for EU citizens on Wednesday!!! Keep it in mind, because it will save you the 8 euro entrance fee you normally need to pay.

The Palacio is build between 1738 and 1764, at the same spot were the Alcazar ones stood. It is designed by Sachetti, for king Filips V. Their are about 2800 rooms in the building, which is one of the biggest in Europe. This palace still is the official residence of the king Juan Carlos, but it is nowadays only used for ceremonial occasions. Most rooms are open to the public, and show many architectural styles, since the building is old and has been renewed and expended many times. You'll find beautiful floors, paintings, carpets and decorations here, as well as an armory and the old pharmacy. The entrance is at the square between the Alameda cathedral and the palace itself.

I think the palacio is a must-see when you go to Madrid. I'm not a fan of this kind of buildings but yet I really enjoyed the visit. You'll need some time to see all the rooms in detail, but it's worth it.

Related Travel Blogs About Palacio Real

Palacio Real de Madrid and Plaza de Oriente Palacio
We are ready for our next destination, Palacio Real de Madrid. We punch in the destination to our portable Garmin Nüvi 1370/1370T that we bring from US. After parking our TT underneath Plaza de …Palacio Real de Madrid. We punch in the destination to our portable Garmin Nüvi 1370/1370T that we bring…
The city, the people, the culture
  I had an awesome time in Madrid, not just because it is a great European city but because it exceeded my expectations, which were already high to begin with.  I was only going to be here…Palacio Real de Madrid ( Royal Palace ),  also called Palacio de Oriente ( Palace of Orient ) it is the official…
Palacio Real in Aranjuez
We spent a day in Chinchón and on the way back to Madrid we stopped by Aranjuez. I was told that the Palacio Real & Gardens were awesome and I agree. The Palacio Real started as one of Felipe II…Madrid we stopped by Aranjuez. I was told that the Palacio Real & Gardens were awesome and I agree. The Palacio

Check Madrid Hotel Deals