Palace on Ganges

Palace on Ganges Rates and Deals

Palace on Ganges Varanasi Reviews

Paulovic Paulovic
Good hotel, but a bit far from the real centre Aug 10, 2011
The funniest thing about this hotel was that every room had its own theme. Every room was decorated in another style of another Indian state. The room where we stayed in was called "Rajputana". It was a decent room and I liked the furniture. It was a bit light or beige coloured. This gave it a nice atmosphere to the room.

The hotel was clean and even was our room and bathroom. The bathroom was not big at all, but the shower cabin was big, maybe one third of the bathroom. The beds were good too. We were sleeping at the backside of the hotel on the first floor, where also the reception was. The window of our room was only like half a meter from the wall of another building, so the view was not all that great.

The service was more than excellent! They had a laundry service that we needed. That was excellent, the cloths were very clean and even ironed as well! The staff in the hotel was constantly asking you if everything was allright. And if not, they would solve it right away. As we had more often before, we were going to take a night train on the day of departure from Varanasi. Again we could order food to take away with us to eat later in the train.

The location could have been better. The hotel was located at the Assi Ghat. This is the Southern most Ghat of all the main Ghats in the city. At this Ghat people come to worship Shiva lingam. This Ghat is called to the Assi river that is coming out in the Ganges river close by.

There is a room downstairs for breakfast, which could have been a nicer room. If you wanted to have dinner, you had to go to the rooftop for it. One night we were sitting on the rooftop having dinner and it was raining and lightning a lot. We were able to sit dry under some kind of ceiling, but the thunder was hitting high rooftops all around us. That was pretty scary at a sudden moment when it came really close! I think the food was allright there, too. But I have had better.

There was no elevator in the building I think, so every time you wanted to go upstairs to eat, you had to walk all the way. Not that it is a problem for me, but just to tell people who read this review.

This city, Varanasi, is one big crazy place of people! So at the moment you stept out of your hotel, people came to you asking for everything. After a few weeks in India it was annoying sometimes. But a well, that is just part of their culture I think.

If I would stay here next time again? I think I would not. Not because of the hotel, but only because of its location! If this exactly same hotel would be more towards the centre of all the Ghats, then I would "Highly Recommend" it instaid of only "recommending" it
Our Rajputana room
Our Rajputana room
Our bathroom
Rajputana
Paulovic says:
Well, this was AT the Ganges, too. But a bit from the main Ghats.
Posted on: Aug 03, 2012
jenniferhibbard says:
Sounds like not a bad place except for location, as they sound service oriented. I stayed closer to the Ganges and the bugs were terrible at night!
Posted on: Aug 02, 2012
JAW5623 JAW5623
Slightly pricey hotel a few minutes from the Ganga Apr 29, 2011
We decided to stay in the Palace on the Ganges because our originally planned hotel was fully booked. The building is nice, but provides no views of the Ganges from the rooms. The rooms are acceptable, and each has a different theme. We stayed in the Orissa room which has a lot of "interesting" carvings. The room had television (60 channels or so, mostly in Hindi) and functioning A/C.

Breakfast is on the roof of the hotel, which has a view of the Ganga, but the sun can be a bit overwhelming in the warmer months. The staff will hang up sheets to block the sun. Service at the restaurant is a bit slow and the food leaves a bit to be desired (but this seems to be the case at almost all eating establishments in the city).

The room cost us Rs 5,000/- per night +10% tax. This did not include breakfast.
fullstopindia fullstop…
Great alternative away from the madhouse main Ghat, right on river Nov 04, 2009
alace on Ganges was a pick by my travel partner who had read a brief snippet on this newly opened hotel. Four years later I am starting to see it reviewed in the guide books.

Located overlooking the River Ganges, at Assi Ghat, the hotel is away from the main action yet only a boat ride away. Walk up the steps to the main door where you’ll be welcomed by the front desk. The lobby itself is quite small but just beyond is a sitting area with views of the street and river below.

The room with twin beds was tight yet efficient and clean. On the roof top you’ll find a small restaurant for your breakfast or lunch. I tried to eat there once but the service just to be seated was slow so I skipped it and ran over to Haifa. This perception had more to do with my surly attitude that morning which made the wait time seem long.

Downstairs you’ll find a charming restaurant. I only found time to stop in for Gulab Jamun one night, tasty and just right.

The staff was very accommodating in waking us for our early morning sunrise boat ride. Hot masala tea was brought to the room and we were reminded to leave quickly in order to make the sunrise.. My only disappointment was after returning from the boat ride mid-morning, we found our room door unlocked and cracked open. Inquiring with the staff about this proved futile. Had I not left my passport, money and other small valuables in the room I wouldn’t have been so bothered. Lesson learned on why you always take your money and passport.

Upon leaving our last morning I found myself sitting next to an older Indian gentleman. Turns out he was deaf and mute. We carried on for a few minutes somehow communicating when I left him with the customary Namaste hand gesture. He returned the gesture which seemed heart-felt, not contrived as I usually feel. I learned while walking out the front door he was the owner.

Stay here to avoid the crowds and enjoy the great views of the river.
Assi Ghat
View of Ganges from hotel
Palace on Ganges Sign

Palace on Ganges Overview

Chaukhandi Stupa and Malviya Bridge are within easy driving distance of the Palace on Ganges. Varanasi city centre is within a short 10 minute drive. The location of the hotel allows guests to easily reach many places of interest on foot. Varanasi Airport (VNS) is within a 40 minute drive from the hotel.

Palace on Ganges Amenities