Palace Hotel San Francisco

Check San Francisco Hotel Deals

Palace Hotel San Francisco Reviews

gardkarlsen gardkarl…
Great location and beautiful room Apr 17, 2015
We stayed at Palace Hotel in San Francisco in April 2015 for 4 nights when we arrived in the city. Getting to the hotel from the airport could not have been easier – we took the BART train to Montgomery station and you exit the station basically at the doorstep of the hotel. The check in was fast and we got room 475. The lobby and entrance area is a reminder that this is an old and classy hotel and the main hall is stunning.

I had read some mixed reviews of the rooms but I was pleasantly surprised by the room we were assigned. The room had high ceiling, light walls and a blue carpet. In the middle of the room was a large King size bed with a good duvet and good pillows. The side tables were large which is excellent if you bring a book, ipad, glasses etc. The room was a bit dark as the carpet and some of the furniture was dark but the reading light in the bed was great! The wardrobe contained a small safe and there was an ironing board and an iron. The room also included some nice robes and slippers. There was also a desk under the flat screen TV and there was a small fridge that was totally empty. Free wifi was included in the room and worked out good. The aircon in the room was easy to control and it didn’t make too much noise.

The bathroom was a bit small but the layout was good. There were white tiles and a bathtub with a shower – the usual shower curtain was replaced by a glass panel which works much better in my opinion. The amenities were good and included the usual shampoo, shower gel, soap but also shower cap, mending kit and shoe sponge. The towels were very large and pretty soft.

Location of the hotel is pretty good. Located on Market street it is easy to walk to Union square, Ferry building etc. There are busses, street cars and train right outside the hotel so it was easy to get around. We did not have breakfast included in the room but it was very easy to find places to grab some breakfast. There are Starbucks coffee shops around the corner and we also enjoyed oats at Corner Bakery just a few steps from the hotel entrance on Market Street.

There are some renovation going on at the hotel according to a letter in the room but we did not hear any noise at all from this work.

I was very happy with the Palace hotel and I would not mind staying there again or recommend this to friends and family.
The bed
TV and desk
Radio
Shower
pretty_girl pretty_g…
historic hotel Jan 20, 2015
San Francisco has plenty of historic hotels, but only one gets to hold the title of oldest surviving hotel - The Palace Hotel at the corner of New Montgomery and Market streets. It's a stunning building very grand indeed. It's situated right beside the Montgomery Bart Station and gives you easy access to Union Square, The Ferry Building (about a 20 min walk) and Westfield Mall (about 10-15 min walk). And there is a Ghirardelli Ice Cream Shop & Chocolate Shop downstairs at the corner of the hotel. You can smell it in the lobby... delicious.

The rooms are a good size with 14-foot cielings, and there is plenty room to hang clothes up and store suitcases in the cupboard. Flat-screen TV and plenty of tv channels. No free wifi in the room. You have to go down to the lobby or pay for it.

Marble bathrooms good size. Scratchy towels, dental kits, four little boxes of a mending kit, a face mirror, a hairdryer.

The bed is big, comfy and clean. There's no access to plugs on either bedside table which is super inconvenient when you're trying to charge your cell.

Good sound isolation from outside noise but seems like walls between rooms are thin.

Gym , swimming pool. The hotel is in renovation process. Swimming pool was closed in December 2014.

Christmas bruch at Garden Court was extraordinary!

This hotel is good for staying maybe once during Christmas holidays.
kayguarnay kayguarn…
The Luxury will Knock you over. Nov 07, 2014
For someone who normally stays at hostels or with friends (Read: budget traveler) what was I doing spending a night at this kind of a place? Right?

However, even though I only spent one night here, I want to write a review for them because they far exceeded my expectations.

I flew in from Asia and was on the fence staying at the same hotel where I needed to take a major exam. Wouldn't it be a huge stressor to be around all the stressed out colleagues? In the end I was so happy I chose to check in at this hotel. I had rented a car at the airport and I knew right away that parking it in San Francisco would be a challenge. I pulled up at the hotel and the very nice valet took my luggage and gave me a valet tag $59 per night. I looked at him and queried if there were not any other garages where I could park for a little less. Why yes there was! He kindly directed me to the garage just around the corner for $22 per night. WIN WIN situation as I was already dropping $300+ for the room!

I walked back to the front desk feeling a sense of accomplishment. The concierge was very kind. He said that the room I had reserved was on the "noisy" side of the building and if I wanted to get some sleep and last minute studying in, he offered me a quieter room at the same price. I thanked him profusely for the thought. When I walked up to my room, I discovered that it was, in fact, very quiet, but that is because it had a window that faced nowhere. Normally, this would not bother me, but because I was dealing with 14 hours of jetlag time to catch up on, I really needed windows and sunlight to get up on time.

I walked back down and asked for the noisy room again, but unfortunately that was already taken. They gave me a key to another room and while I tried to catch up with the bellhop to prevent him from going to the wrong room, I walked up to the new quarters. The same issue -- quiet inner "well" and no light. I felt so bad that I gave up the sunny noisy side of the world! The bell hop Bill was very kind, he made a phonecall on my behalf, and reserved me a room.He just quickly asked me if I wanted to take it, and I told him as long as it had a sunny window, it would be perfect. Bill was right, he reserved me a beautiful, spacious room on Market Street side of the building, with a beautiful view, and more importantly plenty of sunshine. At this point, after 24 hours of travel, I felt like I could collapse into the soft, cushioned bed with a variety of pillows for every sleeping style. WIN WIN!

I was even more impressed with the time when I attempted to get dinner. This was important: good nutrition before a tough 4-5 hour exam tomorrow.

I walked down and was greeted with two options (on a Friday night), the noisy bar where I could not hear my own thoughts, or the quieter central seating area which unfortunately did not serve entrees. I was disappointed. The foyer seemed perfect with quiet piano music, but it was mostly meant for quick bites and cocktails before people headed out.

Seeing my hesitation, the foyer staff took pity on me, and revealed the "secret menu". I think the menu was actually there all along, it's just that no one has requested it forever. After announcing the items on that menu that could be eaten here in slightly larger portions, I immediately picked the salmon with brussel sprouts and sweet potato. It was heavenly! The chef knows what he is doing with these taste combinations! I felt that my salmon and pot of tea were more than worth the bill I paid. WIN WIN!

So in summary, this place is where you would come to be pampered, eat exquisitely well and enjoy amazing live music. When I walked upstairs to my room, I was in heaven. The only thing missing was a way to boil water for a cup of tea with Theraflu to try to quiet my raging cold, which was immediately rectified by the front desk staff. They sent up a huge thermos of hot water.

I know that I normally don't stay in these types of places, but the Palace Hotel earned more than 5 stars for really helping this jetlagged guest get a great nights rest and enjoy my short stay!

Palace Hotel San Francisco Overview

This San Francisco hotel is close to the financial district as well as other popular destinations. Some of the nearby sites include Union Square, the Moscone Convention Centre, the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and more. Guests at the Palace Hotel San Francisco will also be able to find quite a few places to shop, dine, and enjoy the nightlife in the area. Located in a convenient location of San Francisco, guests will find that the airport is only a short drive away. Guests at the Palace Hotel San Francisco will also find that there is plenty of public transportation to take them to other parts of the city.

The 522 rooms found at the Palace Hotel San Francisco are furnished with mahogany and updated fixtures. The rooms all have 14-foot ceilings, climate control, safes, dual line telephones, Web TV, and more.

The Palace Hotel San Francisco offers guests a number of onsite restaurants and bars. They can grab a drink at the Pied Piper Bar, or head to the health club located on the fourth floor. They will find a swimming pool, full service spa, business center and more.

Palace Hotel Amenities

• Fitness Facilities
  • Jacuzzi
  • Massage
  • Spa & Wellness Centre
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Bathrobes