P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center

www.ps1.org - (718) 784-2084

P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center Long Island City Reviews

Chokk Chokk
A great place if you want peace and culture Apr 02, 2010
The P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center is one of the largest and oldest institutions in the USA, which is solely dedicated to modern art.

It is located in the neighbourhood of Long Island City, Queens in an old public school; but it was obviously not the most well known by our cab driver, who we wanted to take us there from Bleecker Street. We had to help him get there with google.maps from our phones.

In addition to its renowned exhibitions, the institution also organizes the prestigious International and National Projects series. While I was there with my friend Maxime they were running an exhibition with 60’s and 70’s art. It was quite obvious that most of the things that were shocking and ground breaking 30 – 40 years ago are almost “comme il faut” today. It is remarkable how the limits have moved in such a short time span.

I liked most of the exhibition but I was not too keen on the video art, but I have never been that regardless the subject. The Public School is a fabulous place to host modern art and I wish every city had a host like this for the modern art.
Inside the entrance hall
Now you know that you are at the r…
Inside the cafeteria
Transitory Transito…
P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center Aug 12, 2009
Formerly a primary school, P.S. 1 Contemp. Art Center has retained the cool non refined space of an underfunded slightly rough around the edges, public school. Quite unlike the more high-brow museums of marble and grand staircases as in the MET.

For ex., the stairwells are original to the building, a public school. If you were ever curious what the avg. NYC child's school looked like, come here. There's bits of graffiti, like the scrawl on the wall, "You just don't get it dad, so fuck off." A perfect caption of raw emo-whininess of a child, no?

The rest of the space, is much in keeping with a gallery or museum, as P.S. 1 is an offshoot of MOMA, the Museum of Modern Art. The floors are gleaming, and there's art of the modern/post-modern variety. That is, some are kitschy, some political work, pseudo and poser political work, artistic, odd, whimsical, etc. Another of my favorite pieces was by a Japanese artist who clipped out delicate miniature shapes out of Tiffany bags.

There's also video art and private screening rooms. Additionally they throw parties sometimes centered round the outdoor garden. Some of the art is interactive, nothing feels too precious here.

P.S. 1 is a suggested donation, it is low though, around $5 for students (bring ID), $10 for adults I think.

Check Long Island City Hotel Deals