PJ's BBQ at Santee Lakes

Santee, California

PJ's BBQ at Santee Lakes Reviews

sdbleve sdbleve
Nov 17, 2007
Today a friend took me to PJ's BBQ at the Santee Lakes. Santee Lakes is a fishing and camping area in Santee, California. There are 7 fishing lakes. There are also boat rentals that you can take out onto Lake 5. But back to the BBQ.

PJ's is run by a gentleman by the name of PJ (go figure). PJ is a friend of the friend that took me to lunch. PJ is a very friendly guy that I learned also sets up fishing trips for friends to go down to Mexico. I think to say he enjoys fishing would be an understatement. PJ sets up for buisness on Fri/Sat/Sun from noon to about 5. He sets up his very large BBQ in the area near the general store at Lake 5. Since I live close to the Lakes, I had decided to walk over to meet my friend. I could smell the BBQ as I approached, and boy did my mouth start to water. The little golf cart that makes rounds at the lakes with BBQ treats drove by whick made my mouth watering experience go into over drive. PJ's explained to me that his menu is seasonal and as the weather is now getting colder around here, he is transistioning into the "comfort food" mode for his menuboard. I had a BBQ beef samich, and boy was it good. The sause was terrific. My friend had (I believe) a fried cod samich, and said it was wonderful. While we were there several people asked about PJ's corn. I guess he was out. But based on the number of people that were asking about it...it must be exceptional. I will have to go back in a week or two to find out! :)

One of the nice things about the locale, is that it is set up in the park. After lunch my friend and I took a nice long walk around the Lakes. It was a beautiful afternoon (almost as beautiful as my friend) and the walk as an excellent way to finish up a great lunch.

So if you get a chance to visit Santee Lakes on a weekend. Try PJ's BBQ, you will enjoy the experience.
SanteeFriend says:
Sure hope the Lakes can survive the City Council
Posted on: Jan 20, 2008
sdbleve says:
Yep, Santee is the city we live in. It is in the East County area of San Diego. Great place to live and raise kids. The monster part was due 1. my kids tend to be "monsters" around me, 2. Our trip that I first joined this site to document was to Loch Ness.
Posted on: Nov 18, 2007
vances says:
Now I get the origin of "Santee Monsters" lol!
Posted on: Nov 17, 2007