P&O ferries Calais - Dover

Calais, France

P&O ferries Calais - Dover Reviews

Chokk Chokk
P&O Ferries Calais - Dover Jun 14, 2008
Arriving at Calais and seeing all the roads that leads to the ferries towards England is like entering a dish of spaghetti straight with your head. I cant remember seeing such a mess of lanes and gates since I drove the streets of Basel.

Since we hadn’t booked any tickets and at the point of our arrival didn’t know that we would bring the car, we were led towards the ticket office which was situated in the middle of a big parking lot, where you also could find other operators. I don’t know why we chose P&O Ferries, but we did! I had checked the prices of the tickets on the internet and they are generally way cheaper than what you can get them for on site.

We asked for a price and a time for the next trip, and there would be one leaving in 1 hour. Just for fun we asked for a day trip with car and got an offer of 75 euro which was ok for us! We were now going to Dover by car.

We left for the entry gate for the ferries and found ourselves in the middle of hundred of lanes leading to different ferries. We found the lane for P&O and got lane 38 which we tried to follow and actually managed to find after some discussion.

The ferry was old but still going strong. I guess our timing was good because the ferry wasn’t full and it was possible to sit down without any problems. The trip from Calais to Dover takes aprox. 75 minutes, and didn’t feel that long. There are different cafeterias and restaurant onboard and on the way out we stayed in the cafeteria and got some real junk food which absolutely was not worth mentioning.

The duty free shops are ok and the prices in the lower end of what you see in other comparative shops.

Overall it was a fun experience
Waiting in the queue in Calais
Looking for Dover
jennjeff1 says:
Great review Christian! Have you linked this to the Public Transit TB Group? ~Jeff
Posted on: Jun 23, 2008
ice4swervin says:
Hi Christian, Congrats on the Feature first. I was looking at doing this trip in July on my own! I couldn't make it eventually but if you can do it I'm sure I can also! Thanks for the blog! :)
Posted on: Jun 20, 2008
Sunflower300 says:
I'm glad you made it. I have only just finished watching a TV show on the ferry disaster a few years ago, your review had my stomach churning.

I guess your review is a better advertisement than the TV show was. :D
Posted on: Jun 18, 2008