Oxford Street YHA

  based on 1 review   write a review

London, England
020 7734 1618

Check London Hotel Deals


Oxford Street YHA London Reviews

Vikram Vikram
312 reviews
YHA Oxford Street - the stain on London's chic shopping wall Oct 21, 2008
I've had a good experience staying in every YHA bar a couple, so I thought this hostel must also be upto the usual YHA standards and decided to dare. The other reason I wanted to stay here is that it was close to Oxford Street and I thought anything close to London's premiere shopping and tourist area *has* to be good.

Oh boy, was I wrong!

PROS: The place is in a very safe area, it's about 1 street behind Oxford Street and takes you about 10 minutes to walk from the Oxford Circus Tube station. The staff are very friendly, and the hostel is safe and very secure. The beds are stable, not creaky and the ventilation is very good, I never felt cold or stuffy.

CONS: It's a very small hostel and is badly managed. You basically enter the hostel and immediately get into a tiny lift which takes you to the 3rd floor. That's where the reception is. After checking in, you have to climb 2 sets of staircases to go to the rooms. The staircases are so narrow you end up walking a step ahead of your suitcase or the other way around. It's really a balancing act...shameful!

The bathrooms and toilets stink. Terribly so. There are a handful of toilets to begin with, and again you have 2 varieties - those that work (30%) and those that don't (remaining 70%). In the "those that work" category, about 2/3rds of them have tissue paper that was so light perhaps it couldn't go down after flushing that it's floating on top (basically add to the "unusable toilet list) that you're left with very very few toilets to choose from. Who'd have thought the posh Oxford Circus area presents itself with such problems?! Essentially, come morning, you can get your dose of Treasure Island hunt and cardio by looking for a clean toilet. The temperature of the water in the bathroom is hit or miss. The floor's always dirty and a bad stink through out.

They have just 1 computer, that's in the dirty TV room which leads to the kitchen. The kitchen looks like hurricane Katrina and the Tsunami just swept it within minutes of each other. Very dirty, not cleaned properly and one wonders what goes inside that fridge. Breakfast isn't covered as part of the price, not that anyone would want to eat anything cooked in that kitchen anyway.

After all this, you have to pay for luggage storage, and the storage is in the basement. Really, for a building so small, they sure make you work it by running stairs and lifts to do tasks. I was huffing and puffing by the time I got out, it was the most tiring hostel I've stayed in.

OVERALL RATING: I'll give this 1/5, and that's because I'm in a good mood tonight.

So would I stay in this hostel ever again? Erm....no! Earl's Court and the other one - YHA Central seem so much more fun than this. And cleaner as well. Far far cleaner. This hostel may be in a prime location (and don't believe the other reviews that say this hostel is noisy. It's not, and you can't hear noise from the streets either), but in terms of in-house amenities or basics for that matter, it's a big nada.

The very funny thing that I did notice in this hostel (in a nice way) which I haven't in other hostels is that the reception is filled with language books - Teach Yourself's, dictionaries, etc etc. - found it quite amusing!
Outside the YHA
2 / 2 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!

Check London Hotel Deals

Oxford Street YHA Map
Value: Location:
Cleanliness: Amenities:
Bed: Bathroom:
2 reviews
1 review
photo by: ulysses