Overnight train in Finland

Overnight train in Finland - Attached toilet

Overnight train in Finland Helsinki Reviews

seahlk seahlk
Overnight train in Finland Dec 09, 2013
I had wanted to write a review on the excellent overnight train from Helsinki to Rovaniemi, but it can both be classified under transport, and accommodation.

Helsinki main rail way station served both long distance and short distance train service throughout Finland. Here, I will focus my review on the long-distance overnight train.

I opted for overnight train to Rovaniemie to save money and time, since the travel time is almost 12 hours. There are frequent service to Rovaniemi, though.

I booked my tickets online, before I leave Singapore. The booking is easy to use and efficient. However, I was unable to select my berth because seat/ compartment selection is only available a couple of months before the departure. I would need to exchange the voucher for the ticket when I reach Helsinki.

The VR office in the railway station was efficient and they are opened as early as 7am to 8-ish pm. So, you can just get the tickets there. I had bought a single bed compartment and this would put my compartment at the upper deck.

The compartment has 2 beds, but I can only use the lower deck. There is a great voucher on my bed for some discount when buying food at the railway restaurant. For my onward journey, I had an extra space in the wall to place my backpack. However, even without the extra space, I find the compartment spacious enough for one person.

There is a seat and small table for you to sit and enjoy the scenery. What I loved most is the ensuite toilet and shower. It is space saving and drinking water is provided as well. The privacy of the toilet and shower refreshes me on the long journey. There is a small electrical socket for charging, and even alarm system for you to set your wake up time. The train will alert you when your station is near, but it is better to wake up earlier to prepare instead of relying on the train's announcement.

I would gladly travel overnight in Finland again as the comfort is comparable to a hostel's. It saves time and money, efficient and is an experience by itself.
Attached toilet