Our Lady of the Sierras Shrine

Hereford, Arizona

Our Lady of the Sierras Shrine Hereford Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
That Old Celtic Cross Beckons to All May 30, 2010
We decided to go hiking this weekend despite the fact that I wanted to do absolutely nothing. The original plan was, Desire and I would take Mark for Icecream in Biesbee. That plan fell down the drain with Desire wanting to swim, Mark wanting to hike, and I wanting to do absolutely nothing. Finally we came to an agreement: we would go hiking in the morning, then go swimming at the Cove in the afternoon. With my 9 year old in agreement and my sweetheart happy with a hke, we set off towards the Huachuca Mountains with Montezuma Trail as our destination.

It was about a quarter after 10:00 am, we stopped for gas, added air to the car tires and picked up some energy drinks to supplement the water we had brought from home. All was well and dandy except for my camera which had a blinking low battery light. As we drove along highway 90, I spotted a huge celtic cross and a statute of the Virgin Mary over the hills in the Huachuca Mountains. The Celtic cross that tours at almost 75 ft high is nothing shot of a beckon to passer bys. I immediately stopped Mark who was driving at atleast 50 miles an hour. His response time was quick, we turned around and head north on the dirt road that led us to the location of the cross.

A huge angel with open arms welcomes visitors to the Shrine, and the walk way tot he shrine is laid with "the way of the cross". For those of you who are not Catholics, the way of the cross is the painful walk that Jesus took to the location of his death carry that old ragged cross. The shrine was completed in 1998 and is open to all visitors from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm. There is no entrance fees. The added stations of the cross on the grounds gives the feeling of reverence and holiness to the grounds. A waterfall runs right below the celtic cross while two paths, one on each side of the cross leads to a garden behind the chapel.

Admission is Free, if you find yourself in the Huachuca or Sierra vista area, do stop by this great place. You will be in awe of it. We were.
Entrance to the shrine of Our Lady…

Check Hereford Hotel Deals