Otel Hikmet

Otel Hikmet - My room
Otel Hikmet - The wonderful Çankaya district
Otel Hikmet - word of caution: Turks don't always tell the truth
Otel Hikmet - the front of Otel Hikmet with its owner
Otel Hikmet - best kebab in town just around the corner

Check Izmir Hotel Deals

Otel Hikmet Izmir Reviews

Biedjee Biedjee
probably best to avoid Apr 21, 2010
The first time this tour that I picked a hotel following a recommendation in the Lonely Planet and the first time this trip that my accommodation was a disappointment. Not only did I feel overcharged (I had to pay 1.5 times the price listed in the Lonely Planet guide), I also couldn't believe this was the best value deal in the area, as there are over 50 similar places in the area, of which only two get a review.

“Hotel Very Good” the sign in front says, and that will be about the last English you'll encounter here, as the owners, a couple of old men, while friendly, don't speak a single word of English.

The rooms don't have toilets and only some have showers. If you choose your room with shower, then the owner will come and remove the padlock from the tap so you can use it. And I have to admit, the shower was one of the warmest I have encountered throughout Turkey.

The absence of toilets in the rooms make that the showers have a distinct urine smell, as I am sure plenty of guests don't bother to walk across the hall for their number ones at night.

As for cleanliness, well, apart from the smell it is clean enough. Floors do get mopped and sheets do get washed in between occupancy, but on the whole the place has a bit of a musty, dusty feel to it.

Amenities? There aren't any. There is no breakfast, no bar, no internet... none of the things that come standard in most hotels in Turkey.

The location on the other hand is excellent. The Çankaya area is definitely the best place to stay in Izmir (unless you splurge on a luxury sea-front hotel), with plenty of shops, tea houses and kebab houses. But I am pretty sure that there are better places than Otel Hikmet available in the area.
the front of Otel Hikmet with its …
word of caution: Turks don't alway…
My room
The wonderful Çankaya district
huibdos says:
this review sounds like the Hich Hikers Guide to the Galaxy:)
Posted on: Sep 22, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Otel Hikmet

Day 17(2): Tired of being ripped off - already!
In hindsight Izmir probably wasn't the best place to use as a base for my daytrips. The bus station is way out of the city centre, and public transportation to the bus station is virtually non-existe…Izmir - I was well-rested and refreshed after my three nights in the Otel Hikmet. I had slept. A lot. Guess…

Check Izmir Hotel Deals