Otaru Brewery

Otaru, Japan

Otaru Brewery Reviews

six74 six74
German beer hall in Hokkaido Jun 05, 2015
The Otaru brewery is a 10 minute walk down the hill from the train station. Cross the canal, then turn right.

The brewery was relatively empty when I arrived, but judging by the amount of seats and reserved signs, I'm sure it fills up (it is open till 11pm). "Eigo no menyuu ga arimasu ka" will get you an English menu, so there is no need to be too adventurous trying to order the vaguely European looking food from the Japanese menu. I ordered the edamame (which was salted and chilled) and the spicy chicken, both if which were very good. Later, with a light head and money burning a hole in my pocket, I also ordered the roast pork, which was fine.

The pilsner has a distinct flavour, which can be a shock after drinking Sapporo, Asahi, Kirin and the usual Japanese beers. The dunkel was considerably smoother and very easy to drink. I also tried the Fest beer, which came in a ceramic mug, and was chosen for the novelty factor alone. This turned out to be my favourite of the three, although my judgement may have been clouded by that time.
The Otaru Brewery beer hall.
The Pilsner with edamame and spicy…
The Fest beer, in ceramic mug.

Check Otaru Hotel Deals