Oct 18, 2007
Ok, I spent the first 24 years of my life in NZ and travelled from Wellington to Otago at most of those years for holidays and to visit relatives.
I reckon Queenstown is an excellent place to start in NZ. It gives you the best thing NZ has to offer - exciting outdoor activities in a spectacular and varied landscape.
Flying in is bl**dy expensive so travel by land from Christchurch if you can.
Here is what you should do while there:
- visit Wanaka, a smaller town by the lake
- go bungy jumping and/or rafting
- go out on the town and sample some of the great Queenstown bars
- go up the gondala and view the town and the surrounding Southern Alps mountain range, preferably at dusk
- take a trip to Te Anau and go for a boat right in the Sounds.
There are lots of backpacker joints and you will meet people from all around the world there, but it can be expensive. It might be worth hiring a car so you can get out and enjoy the outdoors properly, even just for a few days.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!