Osurin

Sakaide, Japan

Osurin Sakaide Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
Fun way of eating Okonomiyaki! Dec 10, 2013
After a long day in beautiful Ritsurin Garden in Takamatsu we were tired and hungry. Returning back to Sakaide we stopped at Osurin. This is a restaurant, which has been in continues business for more than 40 years. My Japanese friend said that he remember going there when he was a child.

Osurin´s speciality is okonomiyaki, one of my favorite Japanese dishes. I have seen okonomiyaki explained as Japanese pizza and as pancake. To me it reminds me more of an omelet. Okonomiyaki has its origin in Osaka and is typical food for the Kansai and Hiroshima area. The name is derived from okonomi, meaning "to one´s liking", and yaki meaning "grilled" or "cooked".

The fun thing about Osurin is that it is a grill-it-yourself establishment. The tables have a teppan (iron griddle) in the middle. Seating is in small boots. They also have typical Japanese tables where you sit on cushions on the floor. Sakaide is not on the main tourist trail, so no menu in English. This was not a problem since there were photos of all the dishes. I ordered a veggitarian okonomiyaki and my friends had a squid and a beef okonomiyaki. While we were waiting for the bowels of raw ingredients, we had some fried noodles.

First we sauted the veggies, squid and beef. Then everything was mixed with the respective batter in the different bowels. It was then poured onto the teppan and grilled on both sides. Watch out, it cooks very quickly. To shape the batter into a circle and to flip it onto the other side we used metal spatulas. When the okonomiyaki were cooked we added okonomiyaki sauce, aonori (seaweed flakes), katsuobushi (bonito flakes) and Japanese mayonnaise. What a feast. It probably tasted particularly good since we were so hungry AND had cooked it ourselves.

If you´re ever in Sakaide, I can highly recommend Osurin. Not only for the good food and cheap prices, but also for the fun of cooking it yourself.

Check Sakaide Hotel Deals