Osterio De Medici

Calgary, Canada

Osterio De Medici Calgary Reviews

ladyluck13and7 ladyluck…
Pick your favourite arm and your favourite leg. Choose wisely. Jul 19, 2010
Because those are the only limbs you get to leave with.

Imagine my excitement when I got a gift certificate to go to the Medici. I mean, it's supposed to be a happenin' place around town, George Bush ate here and so does every celebrity that passes through cowtown it seems.

I mean I'm so poor that if Charles Dickens were alive, he'd want to write a novel about me, so this is definitely a once in a while thing.

So I went to see for myself.

First of all when you get to the restaurant, you notice there is valet parking available. This is absurd. If you parked your car away from the door at the farthest distance within the parking lot (which always has space) you would be looking at a distance at which my great grandmother could comfortably walk. I mean, it's not even a big parking lot. I think my childhood backyard was comparable in square footage. Perhaps it's because everyone that goes to the restaurant seems to be driving some kind of BMW or Benz, and your luxury vehicle will be difficult to find in that sea of imports, therefore you need trusty restaurant staff with keen eyes to pick it out and bring it back to you. Well, I thought to myself, I'm young and I drive a 1981 AMC Eagle, so I don't need a valet.

So I come in, and I'm greeting by the owners and am assigned to the best server I've ever had in my life. You see I was waiting on my friends to come by. They eventually take 45 min to show up. My waiter does everything to entertain us during this awkward period of waiting for them (it's thursday and close to kitchen close) short of putting on a broadway play. He was personable and likable and cracked the most wonderful jokes. So the service was great.

So let's get to the food. Now we ended up ordering 2 plates of pasta (salmon and carbonara), chicken in white wine sauce and some pan seared veal. Now, I'm no

food critic, but it the meat dishes were very well done. It was cooked just right, and fresh ingredients were certainly utilized. They claim their pasta is homemade, which may be true, but I could not taste the difference, between theirs and the store-bought dried variety. The food was not especially flavourful, and I would almost say that one of the dishes bordered on bland. We got desert and ordered one bottle of wine (can't remember but it was good). Desert was a chocolate tiramisu and custard. It was in the continuum of average but higher up.

When everything was said and done, we were set back about 400 bucks after tax and tip. Was it worth it? No. But am I glad I did it, just to say I had been there? Sure.
ladyluck13and7 says:
Oh no, you are not becoming another Christophe! I am not getting involved!
fransglobal says:
Bit of an Einstein, are you - with all this relativity?
ladyluck13and7 says:
Besides Francis, isn't everything relative? Compared to this restaurant I am poor, compared to AAA pizza people, Im rich? Didnt you remember the happiness is relative comment?
Rokerij Rokerij
Check Your Bill CAREFULLY!!! Apr 28, 2010
My wife and I went there a couple of weeks ago and had a decent meal. The food was decent, but I've had better in Edmonton at a take-away Italian restaurant. Definitely nothing to brag about if you were the chef. The food was very heavy and sat in your stomach like a bag of quarters. I would literally compare it to Boston Pizza in terms of food quality, and unfortunately BP's pre-makes their meals and microwaves it before serving.

The food was actually the good point of this place. Our waitress was rude and obviously ignored us at least three times while my wife was trying to flag her down for something simple like getting silverware which came after our meal was delivered, and when our meal came out we had no one check if it was alright until our plates were empty. We ran out of drinks mid way through dinner, but the waitress wouldn't stop by to ask if we wanted more.

The atmosphere was stuffy, pretentious is a perfect word. If you were taking your grandmother, this place would do the trick, but for a younger couple we were not impressed.

When it came time to drop off the check it was thrown on the table and took another 15 minutes of trying to flag her down to take our credit card. Unfortunately this was our mistake. We were in such a hurry to get out of this place that we didn't go through our bill. It came to just over $300 for the two of us. We had some wine, and we weren't looking at menu prices so we didn't really care. We thought it was high, but left it at that.

I read an article that mentioned they over charged the reviewer.

So after reading that I was a little curious and happened to find my receipt tucked in my wallet. Sure enough we were charged for two appetizers we did not eat. We were also charged for 8 glasses of red wine @ $20/glass when all we drank was two bottles of wine which we ordered by the bottle @ approximately $60/bottle. Difference of $40 on wine alone and another $40-50 on appetizers. The tip was 18% and was included in the bill despite the horrible service. Our mistake was that we still gave our waitress what we considered to be a lousy tip for her poor service, not realizing she already made 18% from us.

So over charged by almost $100 and forced to pay a tip that was definitely not deserved. That is two reasons I will never, ever go back to this place. We've been to Italy multiple times and around North America, the food is not up to par no matter where you are.

Check Calgary Hotel Deals