Osteria Al Ponte

Cannaregio 6378 , Venice, Italy

Osteria Al Ponte Venice Reviews

Dr_Seuss Dr_Seuss
Ostaria Al Ponte - Where The locals Go Jul 12, 2010
Went here on our second night in Venice. The guy that had checked us into the apartment had recommended it, saying he went there with his girlfriend, but I was still cynical :-D.

Sat just over the bridge from one of the many churches,Basilica Santi Giovannie e Paolo, it is quite easy to walk past, it isn't that obvious,despite it being at the end of the row. Just looks like a small local bar.

Very small and intimate, and decorated with all sorts on the walls, it just had a feel about it the minute you walked in.

So much so, that when they said they had run out of beer I still stayed :-O.

There is no menu, it is just a case of what they can get and what they want to cook. On the night we were in it was a choice of cheese and meat plate or pasta and baby clams.

The girl that was serving spoke good English, but the owner/chef spoke very little.

I ended up drinking Aperol and wine, but it was a great night. Really one of these places you love to find when you are travelling.

Wasn't the quickest of service for the food, but you could sit and watch him cooking it on the other side of the bar, and the drinks kept coming.

We went two and two for the meals, and I think me and my boy got the better with the baby clams and pasta.

As we were eating the owner kept coming out with the pot and filling our plates back up. There was a Belgian family in as well and they got their bill and started cracking up. said they hadn't asked for stuff and assumed it was a freebie.

We thought they were quite naive, in you get nothing for nothing, and it wasn't even that expensive.

After we had done with our main meal the owner came out with some water melon, and just placed it on the table. We scoffed it. It was a really nice setting and we weren't in a rush to leave.

End of the day we never paid for all the top ups of our main meal, we were charged something for the melon, we'd had a good few drinks between the four of us and it came to €72. We certainly weren't complaining :-D

As I said had been doubtful about being pointed in the direction, not knowing what sort of kick backs people take,but this was a genuine recommendation, and it's one of the best dining experience I've had in many years.
Ostaria Al Ponte
Place Mat
Ostaria al Ponte Walls
Inside Ostaria al Ponte
Dr_Seuss says:
Staying when they have run out of beer definately tops a 5* reccomendation
Posted on: Aug 14, 2012
austin37335 says:
Sounds great Ian, the highest praise you can give is to stay after the beer had run out! :D
Posted on: Aug 14, 2012
sylviandavid says:
Oh, What a lovely review... the ambiance sounded so perfect... so glad you experienced this wonderful place and reported about it.... Sylvia
Posted on: Dec 07, 2010