Orris

orrisrestaurant.com - (310) 268-2212

Orris Los Angeles Reviews

sybil sybil
Jan 19, 2008
One need not bother making reservations to dine at orris. tables and counter spaces are available on a first-come first-served basis. the drill is to walk up to the host/hostess table and put your name on a list with the number of people in your party.

this place is not very big and it does get crowded, so the service could be a bit hurried.

on to the food:

1. cheese plate - some cow milk, cheese with rosemary, a sheep milk and a blue cheese. the blue cheese was too strong. i thought the sheep milk was my fave although to be honest, none of these cheeses really stood out.

2. ahi tuna tartare with cucumber (check out pix from martinikitty13's review) - this was tasty. nothing special, altho i liked the pine nuts and the cucumber salad to go along with the tuna. orris was quite stingy with the toasted bread though. they could only bring 3 pieces at a time. given that there were three of us dining, we found ourselves asking for more toasted bread more than once.

3. ravioli stuffed with shrimp puree - the ravioli itself was nothing to write home about. although i thought that the sauce was pretty tasty and creamy.

4. foie gras with eggplant (check out pix from martinikitty13's review) - this was my favorite out of everything we ordered. the foie gras was so rich and fatty. yummy! And the eggplant was very soft. both were smothered in a sweet sauce.

5. pork medallions - normally, i am a swine lover. but this underwhelmed me. the meat was mediocre. the sauce was mediocre. quite disappointing, really.

6. Quail over white beans (check out pix from martinikitty13's review) - i really was not impressed. it just did not stand out.

7. fried chicken - this was pretty good. nice and crispy on the outside and juicy white meat inside.

the bottle of pinot grigio was good.

i honestly don't remember the bill but i don't remember having a heart attack when i saw it. parking is easy to find on la grange or thereabouts.

the verdict: there were definite hits... And misses. i'd probably try other japanese bars popping up all over the city before i come back to orris.
fried chicken
pork medallions
cheese plater: cow, rosemary, shee…
martinikitty13 martinik…
Jan 19, 2008
Orris is a Japanese small plates place located on a stretch of Sawtelle inhabited by Japanese businesses. It’s a small, cozy space where the focus is on the open and busy kitchen. Service is efficient and quick. The food was served quickly and were all quite good. I have to admit however that nothing was so extraordinary as to inspire me to come rushing back – but it’s a nice place to eat and drink with friends if you happen to be in the area. It is quite crowded so reservations are recommended.

We shared a nice bottle of pinot grigio and had the following plates:

- cheese plate (nice selection of cheeses – goat cheese, a creamy petite basque, etc. – other than the goat cheese, they were quite mild. Pleasant but not great.)

- tuna tartare with warm crusty bread and seaweed salad (good, but I’m a bit tired of this dish; although the addition of the slightly sweet seaweed salad was a nice touch) – they were however strangely stingy with the bread.

- Crab and cucumber salad (I really liked this one – very fresh and sweet and light)

- Pork medallions (this was ok, not sure what it was but I didn’t really like the mushy texture and aftertaste of this dish).

- Seared foie gras over eggplant (I also really liked this one – perfectly balanced in a wonderful, sweet sauce).

- Shrimp mousse ravioli with mushroom sauce (ok, but I was slightly underwhelmed).

- Quail over white beans (again, just ok).

- Fried chicken (pretty good, but nothing special).

All in all, it’s a nice place but somehow lacks the draw to keep me coming back. I would try it again if someone else wanted to, or if I happened to be in the area...
Name and symbol of restaurant.
The tuna tartare. Pretty good but…
Crab and Cucumber Salad - one of t…
The foie gras over eggplant in a d…
mellemel8 says:
congrats on being "featured".....again :)
Posted on: Jan 21, 2008
sybil says:
my fave was the foie gras! :D
Posted on: Jan 20, 2008
mellemel8 says:
OMG we must go here when i come back. me want some foie gras :P
Posted on: Jan 20, 2008
Grasshapa Grasshapa
Apr 24, 2006
We discovered this little Japanese-French Fusion restaurant on Los

Angeles westside last summer and it never ceases to amaze me. The

prices have gone up, but it has not kept the crowds away. I almost hate

to recommend this place, because I'm afraid it will attract even more

people. I highly recommend the Albacore Lettuce Cups and the

Curry-Infused Shrimp Tempura!
dlazzaro says:
Sounds interesting. I promise to only go on off days! ;)
Posted on: Apr 24, 2006