Oriental Pearl II Ferry

Dandong International Ferry Co. LTD., Dandong, China
Oriental Pearl II Ferry - The beds (right one was mine)
Oriental Pearl II Ferry - The room
Oriental Pearl II Ferry - The room
Oriental Pearl II Ferry - The bathroom

Check Dandong Hotel Deals

Oriental Pearl II Ferry Dandong Reviews

Airportman Airportm…
Affordable ferry from Dandong to Incheon May 09, 2010
On advice by a guide (with whom I traveled with in Japan), I booked this 15 hours ferry crossing from Dandong to Incheon. He told me it was the moe adventurous form of travelling.

He gave me 3 options: pay about 300 euros extra and I got a room all by myself. Pay 70 euros extra for a double room and I would most likely share it with someone. Or just pay for the crossing and I would sleep wherever my bed would be, as most rooms would be with a starting capacity of 20+ people.

I opted for the 70 euros extra and booked the double room.

The ferry itself is called the Oriental Pearl II and looked pretty good. The crossing was very good and smooth (depending on the weather of course) and right on time.

The room was pretty big, big enough for 2 persons. There were 2 single beds, not long enough for my height, but still comfortable. There was a closet, a sink, a flatscreen tv, a refridgerator and a bathroom. Everything was really clean.

The bathroom was not that big, enough room for a western toilet and a shower. There were slippers to use in the bathroom, clean towels and a roll of toilet paper.

The reception/shop area was only open for a few short amount of times during the crossing. They shop mainly sold cold & warm snacks & drinks and at the reception was the possibility to exchange money.

The restaurant for the various meals (breakfast, lunch & dinner) was only open for 1 hour each time. You had to get a number then you could eat. Limited seating capacity, maybe 100 people at once. The dinner was buffet style and the food was okay. I didn't went for breakfast.

The boat itself is clean, but when walking through the boat the fellow travelers, only koreans (just five westerners - me and 4 people from the group I traveled with in North Korea), were not as neat as always. The aromas of the many different home made dinners filled the air and the most disgusting thing was the constant spitting (it happened outside only luckily) by them. Also the noises from the various tvs and the people were at times pretty loud.

It was indeed an adventurous way of travelling, but also fun. The 15 hours went by quickly, it helped since the crossing happened through the night. Accept some of the conditions and you will have a fairly cheap way of travelling from China to South Korea.

Some advice: if you board the ferry at Dandong, make sure you have a written paper in chinese on how to exchange your boarding voucher for a boarding pass, because english is very limited. We had a chinese tourguide, so that was very helpful. - When you have to travel to the dock on your own, make sure you have the correct address written in chinese as well, since it's in an industrial area.
The beds (right one was mine)
The room
The room
The bathroom
Airportman says:
Thank you!
Posted on: Aug 28, 2010
Glynnes says:
Nice review and photos. Thanks!
Posted on: Aug 28, 2010