Orhidea House

Check Ohrid Hotel Deals

Orhidea House Ohrid Reviews

tj1777 tj1777
House not so much at the lake Sep 06, 2014
We knew we would get to Lake Ohrid fairly late so we had decided to pre book a room in a sort of private family run hotel or guest house right down at the lake. This made it a lot easier to find the hotel compared to having to walk around the town after dark at night. The taxi driver found the room without any problems but I am sure you could have problems finding this spot on your own since there wasn’t a big sign and it was just off the street at a tunnel on the narrow road leading out of the old town. When we arrived at the hotel we were met by a speed talking young girl who was fluent in English. It turned out she was the daughter of the owners and she was only home for another couple of weeks before she should start university in Skopje. This might make things a bit more difficult for future guest since her parents only spoke very basic English - hence it might be difficult to communicate with them.

We knew the hotel was down at the lake and had kind of hoped the room would have a bit of a view. This turned out not to be the case at all. There was no view from the room except the wall of the next door house. We had planned to stay for two nights at this hotel - but it turned out the wall next door was the location of a bar playing music late night. Apparently it wasn’t high season any more so they stopped the loud music at an early hour now - which was around 1 at night. So it wasn’t really the ideal spot if you didn’t plan on going out late night. Hence we decided to leave after one night searching for a spot which was a bit quieter and had a view of the lake.

The room was located at the first floor so we had to make our way up a fairly narrow stair before getting to the room. Inside the room was fairly big with a bed in the center and a couple of nightstands next to the bed. There is a table at the end of the room and a television in the corner. The bathroom has a decent size at the end of the room.

There are several restaurants nearby both inside and outside of the old town so you can easily go and find something to eat for your dinner or breakfast - which isn’t included at the guesthouse. Unfortunately we arrived fairly late and decided to go for the recommendation of the owner’s daughter which was a restaurant at a square at a nearby church. Unfortunately the food there seemed a bit overpriced for what it was so you should probably not go by the food recommendations of the owners. Instead of the owners recommendations you can just have a look around in the old town or outside the walls of the city where the new town is only five minutes’ walk away.
The tunnel where the hotel is loca…
The bathroom
The television
The bed
gingerbatik gingerba…
Loud Music next door Sep 06, 2014
This place advertise on the internet for a room with lake view. I actually very surprise since the price is really cheap and it is located right inside the old town of Ohrid, right at the famous lake in Macedonia. But anyway, since it is low season – I though it should be okay and I booked it through booking.com website.

When we arrived late at night around nine or ten pm from Albania, the daughter of the owner open the front door and greet us warmly, and she speaks fluent English, friendly and very chatty and she gives information around the area, and also several booklet information available inside the room. Unfortunately she gives us a room which is located at the third floor without any view – the windows was facing next door building wall. I was not happy about this but it was late at night and I was tired after long journey from Tirana, so I just want to settle and not move around.

The guesthouse location was excellent, it is close to many churches, restaurants, souvenir shop and if you like to get drunk, bar which only serve drink is right next door. The main gate of the old town actually close by from this guesthouse, however when we arrived by taxi, it has to go around the whole town since it is one way system, by foot it only takes two minutes’ walk.

The room is very basic and not like what was written at the review in the internet, and it has two single bed which put closed together, fan, a couple of chairs next to the bed and cupboard. The bathroom is spacious but the shower only has a shower base on it without any glass partition or curtain – so when having shower the whole bathroom floor was flooding. And it appear the water is not going anywhere and I have to put towel afterward and clean up the bathroom so we would not get cold feet when go to toilet.

After comeback from dinner at the restaurant which was recommended from the owner daughter (please note, dont go to this restaurant if you are in Ohrid, supposedly the best restaurant in Ohrid but the food was horrible - I will write a separate review about the restaurant), and the restaurant was close by, we want to go to sleep but unfortunately the bar next door was blaring the music very loudly and probably the whole wall in the place was shaking and I could not sleep the whole night since the music was too loud and it stop at 2 in the morning.

The next morning I decided to move to another place and check the guesthouse which located right at the lake front before we actually move out from this guesthouse. There are plenty of nicer place than this guesthouse with similar price range. This place cost €20 per night for two people without breakfast. I personally would not recommend this place and do not understand why it has a high satisfaction rate from other guests. It is very cheap but I prefer to have a good night sleep without music blaring on my ears.
bathroom
old television inside the room
the bed