Orange Elephant Backpackers

Check Addo Hotel Deals

Orange Elephant Backpackers Addo Reviews

Stigen Stigen
There are better places to stay, avoid their safari trip! Feb 28, 2012
We got a bad impression of this place from the start, mainly because I have found them the evening before and agreed a price for room and Safari for 2 people, and when we got there they wanted more..

Before going to Addo there were so many good options for places to stay, and places to arrange the safari, so we chose this one just because it seemed like the best deal at the time. .

After driving for 8 hours to get here, we were told that we would have to pay more then the price we had agreed, as the guy in th reception hadn't talked to the boss.

I was sort of expecting them to give it to us for the agreed price, as that is the decent thing to do, but he just stood with the hand out waiting for us to pay the outstanding new price.It was dark and we were too tired to look for another place, so just paid, but were not happy with the level of service.

There were several buildings in a large garden, and ours was the one furthest from the reception. the room was simple/basic, and there was no mosquito net, so had to keep window closed. There was amazingly only one inlet, and there was already a lamp in it. The house had a communal kitchen.

The common area was OK. there was a sofa and a projector where they showed some movies. the bar had some expensive beers for sale. .

We had paid for the "guided" safari, so got up early on the day and had the included breakfast. the breakfast was a simple as it gets - a few slides of loaf , cereals and cheap jam, but fair enough. .

The "guide" was not a guide at all, just a chauffeur. He was a nerdy looking teenager with no clue about animals. Along for the safari was also another girl working at the hostel.

What annoyed me the most was that when we were interacting with the animals the guy and the girl were constantly in the way. they were spending more time with the animals then we were, and we had paid 200£ for this trip. I had to chase the "guide" and his camera away from the lion cubs just to be able to get a picture with them myself...and still on all my pictures and videos they are in the way, ruining the whole special moment with me and the animals. Not very professional.

The most riddiculous thing was when we went back to the hostel for "lunch". What happened was that we went back there and the guide and the other girl was eating their big hearty lunch while we were sitting there watching them eat!!

We were really hungry and would have settled for some simple white bread, but were not offered anything. And this we had paid 200£ for !! unbelivable!

We actually had to ask him to drive by some pizza joint afterwards just so we could buy some food!

In the park we drove around for a few hours and saw quite a bit of animals. I think the guide guy took more pictures then I did, and continued to ruin my shots by having his own camera in the way when I was filming and taking photoes.

If you go to Addo it will be significantly cheaper just to hire a guide at the park, or locally. the entrance to the park is only 200(incl. cheetah place) , so it doesn't make sense to pay 1400 rands to these guys.

Last evening we were there we heard a girl screaming like someone was killing her, it was quite disturbing.

Later we heard that she had been hit in the head by some intruder when she was at the toilet. Other people said that things was missing from the fridge, so obviously some poor people that came to steal food, and don't mind hurting people. In that sense this place probably isn't amongst the safest options around. .
The communal area/reception/bar
tj1777 says:
congrats on todays feature - too bad you didn't have a good experience
montecarlostar says:
Well done on the feature and thanks for the warning!!
monky says:
Congrats on your featured Stig sorry to hear about this negative experience thanks for sharing:)

Check Addo Hotel Deals