Ongpin Noodles

(650) 615-9788

Ongpin Noodles South San Francisco Reviews

Dolphintrekker Dolphint…
Jan 22, 2008
If you’ve just been dying to know where to get the best home-style Filipino food in San Francisco, I’d tell you . . . nowhere! Yes, San Francisco does offer some of the world’s best cuisine from every culture, but Filipino food isn’t one of them. Unfortunately you’d have to drive over to the next city, which is South San Francisco. Fortunately it’s only a 3 mile drive south of San Francisco . . .

Every time anyone asks where they can dine on some good, authentic Filipino dishes, I always take them, that’s right, not just refer them to, but actually take them myself (because as you should know by now, I love food and I love eating, so if there’s an excuse to go, I go) to this cafeteria-style restaurant, minus the buffet line.

This is a sit and serve restaurant, though I say cafeteria-style because their serving plates/dishes, tableware, table setting, décor, etc. are all uncoordinated, also the service can be on the slow side. But if you can overlook the parquet flooring and a few peeling paint jobs, you’ll discover that this is a place to have some hearty Filipino food! To make up for the lack of ambience, they make up for it in their flavorful dishes.

So, when a co-worker asked for my suggestion on where he should go for Filipino food, this was my place of choice. We rounded up a few more people and headed right here after work. A dinner that includes 4 main entrées and rice (good for 4 persons) will cost about $50 total (w/ tax, w/o tip yet). For our dinner we ordered:

• Pinakbet (Pakbet), usually it includes bitter melon, eggplant, tomato, ginger, okra, string beans, lima beans, and chili peppers

• Sisig, usually a method of preparing pork, which is marinated in a sour liquid such as vinegar, then seasoned with salt, pepper and other spices such as chili peppers

• Shrimp Sinigang (soup), usually prepared with tamarind (which provides the sourness), tomato, leek, taro and onion, other vegetables may include spinach, radish, green pepper and string beans

• And last but not least . . . pork fat baby, Crispy Pata, deep-fried pork leg!!

Sadly we didn’t have dessert because my co-workers did not save room for it, and some couldn’t stay long. But they serve one of my favorite desserts, which is vanilla ice cream topped with candied yams, gelatin, rice crispies and coconut milk called Coco Cha-Cha, isn't the name enticing?! It's simply delicious!!!!

For generous portions of family-style Filipino comfort food, I highly recommend this place. And if you do not have the time or patience for an in-house dining experience, you have the fabulous option of ordering take-out.
Ongpin Noodles Restaurant – fron…
Ongpin Noodles Restaurant – inte…
not the best shot, er…not even a…
RacquelT127 says:
yummy I love ongpin.. i always try to save room for halo halo with ube ice cream.. muy delicioso
Posted on: Jan 22, 2008
ted332 says:
I'm already hungry.... :)
Posted on: Jan 22, 2008