One Hotel Helang

Langkawi, Malaysia

Check Langkawi Hotel Deals

One Hotel Helang Langkawi Reviews

TommyTraveller TommyTra…
Impressive facade, but this hotel needs the Hotelier equivalent of Gordon Ramsay Jul 04, 2011
My GF and I booked this hotel because it was cheap (due to the Late Rooms deal) and we wanted to stay at primarily 4 star places whilst in SE Asia. We had a standard twin room which was very nice and of a high spec. However, this hotel is blatantly falling into disrepair. We were there for three nights, and during that time half the facilities (shop, kiddies playground and their new 'Eagle restaurant') were never open. Also, one of the main reasons why I booked this place was also because the hotel was advertising a free shuttle service to their private beach. This service was also not running during our stay, and we were told by reception that 'the beach is closed'. The staff are pleasant enough but seem really disenchanted with the place, and it looks like they've closed half the facilities to cut costs. Also, they pipe Chopin Nocturnes and various other pastiche Romantic piano works all around the hotel 24/7. It just adds to the sense of despair in the place; they should really change that. Given its location next to the airport, this hotel is obviously mainly for business types rather than holiday makers. However, whilst we were there, the hotel was pretty much like a ghost town and I saw little of either demographic. It's a big hotel but seems to be unable to get the bookings. This is probably down to the location, as it's not centrally located. Biggest issue was the hot water, or lack of it. I wasn't too bothered about only having tepid water but why GF was not so nonchalant. We complained about the lack of hot water, they sent some 'engineers' over, offered to change us to another room with 'slightly warmer' water, but didn't fix the problem. They said it was affecting half the building, but I got the impression that this wasn't news to them and that they were well aware of the problem but powerless to do anything about it. May be that's why the place was discounted? Anyway, you expect hot running water in a 4 star hotel! Most annoying thing really was that we had to keep chasing them for updates about the water. If they couldn’t fix it, it would’ve been better for them just to have told us straight rather than make excuses. My GF escalated it to the Hotel Manager, who offered to give us an extra night. We settled on just having a later checkout as we had a flight booked. Conclusion: impressive room and façade but the hotel is going to the dogs unfortunately.
andreamylesa says:
Sorry the hotel was so miserable. Thanks for the review:)
Posted on: Jul 04, 2011