On Tap

Tuwharetoa Street, Taupo, New Zealand

On Tap Taupo Reviews

TYoungTX TYoungTX
Cook your own Catch at Lake Taupo Feb 03, 2005
My father and I had caught some great trout on Lake Taupo and were dying to eat one of our catch. We were referred to a local bar and restaurant, On Tap. Definitely not a tourist hangout, this place had more locals and a warm and friendly atmosphere.

I had taken the trout down to the restaurnt that afternoon and made reservations to come back later for dinner. On Tap's cooks prepared our catch perfectly. The trout had been filleted and then baked with butter, lemon juice and fresh herbs (basil and other unidentified herbs). Our trout came out with roasted root vegetables consisting of potatoes, kumara (NZ sweet potatoes), parsnips and carrots, french fries and a salad. I had a New Zealand chardonnay that was perfect with the trout. It was such a good meal -- I am sure in part because we had caught the trout ourselves and that I had been looking forward to it from the time we caught it that morning!

For dessert, I had a New Zealand cheese board and a glass of port. It was a wonderful end to a wonderful meal. Highly recommended, particularly if you can bring your own trout!
hayley_phoon says:
Oh trouts is everywhere in New zealands, i was at the Rainbow spring, there's so many trouts in it. But i didnt taste it, how good it is?
Posted on: Mar 29, 2012