Omar Khayyam

1 Grosvenor Street, Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Omar Khayyam Edinburgh Reviews

spocklogic spocklog…
Indian Restaurant in Edinburgh Sep 25, 2012
I came here with some colleagues after a conference reception one evening. Some of the members of our party said they had eaten here on a previous evening and recommended it. It was right around the corner from the Hotel Grosvenor, where we happened to be staying while attending the conference in Edinburgh, so we were willing to try it and in the mood for something to eat after the reception. It is easily reached in the vicinity of Haymarket Station and has an attractive street side presence.

The decor is quite nice inside this restaurant and the expectation is that the food would match the surroundings. I'm certainly no expert on the nuances of Indian food, but I can tell excellent from average and I have to say this was really quite average. The problem was that most of the dishes tasted very much the same. I couldn't really discern any unique flavor in the various sauces the meat and fish were served in. Some were spicier (hotter) than others certainly, but that was the extent of it - No other gradation in nuance of flavors or, indeed, substantial notoriety in the taste.

I'm not sure what to say that is useful in this regard. The dishes tasted alright, but one was like another with varying degrees of spicy (hot), but no real definable flavor to distinguish one from another. A bit disappointing really, I think, considering the nicely decorated decor here and formally dressed staff. I expected more I guess. The deserts were quite good and I can attest to that, but the food in general was quite ordinary and indeed perhaps sub-par for the pleasant ambiance this place presents.
Restaurant Streetfront
Outside Menu
Restaurant Entrance
Soccer shirt in lobby
spocklogic says:
The restaurant does state it is Indian & Punjabi - so there is a Persian connection there in the later maybe.
Posted on: Dec 20, 2012
Andy99 says:
Maybe it is because Omar Khayyam was Persian, not Indian! :)
Posted on: Dec 18, 2012
spocklogic says:
That is the state here, Jim, I am sorry to say. Just make a meal, but nothing with any passion here. Food and nourishment, with not inspiration in the preparation. Looking at the photos, you think, wow this place should be great, and instead falls short of what it could be.
Posted on: Dec 17, 2012