Oljato-Monument Valley

Monument Valley, United States

Oljato-Monument Valley Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
Nature's Beauty abounds in this Navajo Landscape Jun 11, 2011
My family and I, arrive in Monument valley at sunset after a day in Canyon de Shay. We decided to spend a night at the Hampton Inn and tour the valley at sunrise the following morning. Nothing prepares you for what you see when you enter this Navajo land. Unless you have watched one of those John Wayne movies, you do not know what to expect. The landscape is perfect for a Western movie, and has been used in movies by Hollywood. Monument Valley is located between the Arizona and Utah borders near Four Corners. It is entirely on the Navajo Indian Reservation and refered to some as the Navajo Tribal Park

There are tour options guided by the native Navajo, but we decided to do a self guided tour with our own car. This gave us the opportunity to see much more and at a leisurely pace. I would advise you do this if you have family with you. Our daughter enjoyed the slow pace and running around some of the stops. The color of the land and touring land monuments is more than words can adequately describe. It is in front of such beauty of nature that I find the English language does not adequately describe our feelings.

It is off road so a good car is recommended for the self guided tour. A 4x4 or equivalent. We did see some small cars make the tour, but I would not use my car for the kind of road in the valley. I live in Arizona so I know the history of the Navajo. For a foreigner, I would definitely recommend the guided tour for a detailed history of the Valley and it's early inhabitants; the Native Indians.

Fees: There is a $8 entrance fee. No credit or debit cards are accepted, so please carry cash with you when you go to Monument Valley. We were unfortunate all the money machines were down when we went, but the good natured lady at the gate allowed us to tour and pay later.

PS: “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain
Africancrab says:
Occe more, I want to thank all who stopped by to congratulate me on my featured review, much appreciated.
Posted on: Sep 20, 2011
ellekape says:
great review, congrats Harriet :)
Posted on: Sep 17, 2011
monky says:
Congrats on your featured review Harriet! have a very nice weekend:D
Posted on: Sep 17, 2011
greaves4000 greaves4…
Amazing night with the natives. Jun 14, 2011
Hey,

If you're travelling across the US, one area off the beaten track I'd definitely recommend would be Monument Valley. I was there during a TrekAmerica tour but anyone can go if they wish.

You get to explore a vast land still owned by native American Indians known collectively as the navajos.

Their genuine love of their land comes accross in an enthusiastic tour accross breathtaking scenery. As night came down a group of us gathered in a hollow canyon whilst we learnt a variety of Navajo dances and ate traditional (and unbelievably tasty) Navajo.

As the day drew to a close we all laid back looking up at the clearest sky you will ever see. An elder started a fire and gave us an awe-inspiring insight into the history of the Navajo and where there future lies.

All in all a trip to Monument Valley is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that will stay with you forever.

Ash
jan1985 jan1985
Monument Valley Sunrise Nov 03, 2010
I slept in a motel in Kayenta, around 15 miles south of the entrance. We entered the park around 1hr before sunrise. I heard about an enterance fee but nobody there to collect it. The appearance of the valley was nice, all dark brown, red and grey colors.

At the second the first rays of sunlight entered the valley everything changed. In an instant all of the rocks turned bright red, like they where on fire. A really incredible experiance.

- make sure you are there an hour before sunrise. That gives you the time to enter the park and find a nice spot.

-take a coat with you. It was freezing out there. 15 minuits after sunrise you'll be fine in a t-shirt.
X_Drive X_Drive
Jul 11, 2006
This unique area of south-eastern Utah is home to some of the most amazing sandstones formations in the world. Located on the Navajo reservation in the desert region these large natural structures, some as much as 1,000 feet tall, have been in more Western movies than any other place on earth. There is a 14 mile very bumpy dirt road that you may drive that takes to among the mittens and other features. Or, you may take a tour on one of the many Navajo’s open trucks while they tell you what you are seeing and tell stories and fables. Either way, picture taking is a must. Because the mud is so slick, the tours and dirt road are closed if it has recently rained. There is a small fee to get into the area, but well worth while.

Check Monument Valley Hotel Deals