Oliver St. John Gogarty

Oliver St. John Gogarty - Live irish music

Oliver St. John Gogarty Rates and Deals

Oliver St. John Gogarty Dublin Reviews

mebernier mebernier
In the heart of Temple Bar, close to the Liffey, clean accomodation with free breakfast Jul 02, 2013
Free breakfast.

Free wi-fi.

And even an ELEVATOR !

The girl a the front desk was really nice & helpful.

My bed was huge and very comfortable and the bathroom (ensuite) was super clean. In fact, the whole place was very clean! I even had a balcony in the room!

I paid for 1 bed in a 4 bed dorm ensuite; 1st night, I was alone, and then 3 students came up for the following 3 days.

The bed was very big (the bottom bed of a bunk bed; nearly the size of a double bed!) and very comfortable with clean sheets and fluffy pillows; it was the best bed I had in a hostel in my whole life (and still is!).

As I was out of clean clothes, I used their laundry service; a tad expensive (7 € a load, washed & dried), but they didn't stretch my 2 big loads to turn them into 3.

The only con is the absence of lockers or drawers that can be locked to the bed (for example) in the rooms.
View from the balcony
Front of the hostel & adjacent pub
bridgetmc615 bridgetm…
Good, Touristy Location Feb 24, 2010
I took the train up and got a taxi to Temple Bar, the taxi driver did dropped me close- but pointed me in the wrong direction, so I wandered for a bit until I saw an olive green building with Irish music coming from the inside. I first went into the pub, but they told me next door. So I went into the next door, another pub (still Oliver St. John Gogarty) and they said next door, so- the third time certainly being the charm, I was greeted by a nice girl at the desk, I gave her my name and she told me there was already people in my room so the key was up there. I went up the the fourth floor and knocked on the door. I was let in and silence fell upon the room, obviously the people in the room did not expect to share. I didn't mind all too much, I was in fact by myself and was going to a concert later, I just needed the place to lay my head for the night. I was hoping to mingle with the people I was sharing with, but they obviously did not share the same feelings. I did not take much of a notice, and went downstairs to verify the directions to the venue where the concert was. When I made it down to the desk, I saw the people whom were just in my room discussing with the girl at the desk something. They avoided me and got back in the elevator. The girl then informed me that they did not want to share with me and I would have to be moved to a private. I felt really awkward about it, but the girl at the desk was really nice and kept apologizing saying that they didn't make that clear when they arrived and they would have to pay extra for that bed. Nevertheless, it was a bummer to be kicked out of a room. So I hiked back up to the fourth floor, knocked on the door and grabbed my bag and moved down to a room by myself. I went for a wander around and then went on to my concert. It was nice to have a private room, but a bit of a bummer to have to move. At least I wasn't too settled.

The hostel was clean and my room was spacious, the room looked over a smoking area of the next door pub, which wasn't too loud mostly because I was there on a Sunday, but I can imagine on a weekend it would be a bit annoying.

Someone was on the desk 24-hours and the keys are kept at the desk. I can imagine that would get messy if you are sharing with people who were looking to stay out late and if you were looking to turn in early I wouldn't recommend this place to stay.

I know it wasn't the hostels fault about having to move, I just thought with a group of 5 in a 6 bed dorm they would ask if they would like to keep the room private, to avoid the situation they put me in. Overall, it was an okay place. Good location in Temple Bar, very touristy. I don't think I'd go back, but for €18 a night I can't complain too much. If you are going out on the beer then it's a great location and you will probably not notice any of the noise!

The breakfast in the morning was a mix of choice of two cereals, OJ, Apple juice, toast and bagels and of course coffee and tea. I grabbed some OJ before heading out, as I was already running slightly late for my train.
Nktaja Nktaja
for flexible travellers:) Mar 15, 2008
If u dont mind relying on other strangers in your room to open the door for u when u finally come back (there is only one key for the room!) then the hostel its perfect for u! You get enough place for your luggage and stuff and u even have a bathroom in the room - with a bit of luck u manage to get to the toilet in time if u dont need to wait too long for a person in the bathroom:) There is enough food in the morning (im not sure how is it with the quantity if u come last:)... and if u are looking for some real irish party then u dont need to go to far - the pub is only one door away from the hostel.. and u can choose the live irish music at the top or modern rhythms downstairs... Excellent!
Live irish music
tirsomaldonado tirsomal…
Sep 20, 2007
Budget Hostel Accomodation. If you are looking for some very unexpensive, they had an offer for 18 euros per night/bed & continental breakfast. Although the offer run only from Sunday to Thursday. The lowest rates during the weekend on low season is 30€/person for a 4 bedroom and in high season35€. It is in the heart of Temple Bar, so very well located. I didn´t have the chance to see it, but I just thought it was interesting...
Kate_Rach Kate_Rach
May 24, 2006
The location is great, it's right in the heart of the Temple Bar party scene. Check in isn't until later so if you arrive early, prepare to leave your bags behind the desk. Kate got her umbrella stolen, so that sucked.

We stayed in a 10 person dorm for the first three nights and then a 4 person dorm for the last night. Both rooms had their own bathroom, which was nice. The bunkbeds were kind of short seeing as Kate and I are both tall and ever time one of us rolled over it felt like a minor earthquake.

The bar down below is always busy. If you want to get a spot prepare to go early!!! They did have live traditional irish music the one time we made it there.

Overall, it's a hostel. You get what you pay for. It's loud and cramped but an overall positive experience. I would definitely stay there again.

Check Oliver St. John Gogarty Rates and Deals