Old Town

Schaffhausen, Switzerland

Old Town Schaffhausen Reviews

odiseya odiseya
Remains of tradition Feb 10, 2017
Schaffhausen still has a image of town "preserve in time". When you walking trough cobblestone streets and looking around on beautiful old and pictures buildings with wooden bay windows you feel like you enter in some kind of time wormhole. Even are trough town posted street lamps, modern shops and tourist flows and all electrics cable, you could easily imagine how life was bubbling there in the four or five century. ago

Interesting is that are two things and local customs remains and today in some variation: Munot bell ringing and towns guard.

The Munot Bell keeper lives in a flat in the tallest tower and rings the famous Munot bell by hand at 9 p.m. every evening. Since 26th August 2002 the bell on the tower is rung by hand at 9 p.m. for 5 minutes by the Munot keeper – the same way it has been done since 1589.

The towns guard (precisely Night-watch tour) are part of touristic offers of local tourist information center. That is a organized tour with two tour guides who shares the stories about life in Schaffhausen and area like some kind tour trough time.
Travel trough time
odiseya odiseya
On the pavement of the Old town Feb 10, 2017
My main goal for coming in this region is to see a famous Rhainfall but we didnt stop there. The path was leading us to the south to Schaffhausen.

The Old town (German: Altstadt) is very charming and interesting walking experiences.

Even is a very modernized, with lots a lampposts and wires everywhere, I still feel like a walk in to the past.

Walking around on cobblestone pavement pedestrian zone with oriel windows and colorful facades is very interesting. Even it was a Sunday and many passengers it is a surprisingly quiet.

I was busy to remember as much as I can and take many photos. I wont to get as much as possible from my travels. Photography helps me a lot to achieve my goals.

Old town houses reflect the luxury of what used to be. In medieval trading port is lots a things to see and to learn of it. Walking trough cobbled street it a pretty sight to eye. Many Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque and Rococo buildings, some colorful facades with interesting frescoes and others with graceful oriel windows (about 171 as I heard). High fountain with sculpture on top of it remaining me on Bern.
On the pavement of the Old town
odiseya says:
Yes, you are right! I visit few popular towns and I have very long travel wishes list.
Posted on: Feb 11, 2017
german_eagle says:
One of the many beautiful old towns in Switzerland.
Posted on: Feb 11, 2017