Old Town (Stare Miasto)

Krakow, Poland

Old Town (Stare Miasto) Krakow Reviews

Airportman Airportm…
Beautiful old area of Krakow Sep 21, 2010
As with the The Old Town (Stare Miasto) in Warsaw, this Old Town in Krakow is also the oldest district of the city.

I started at the Barbican (Barbakan), which was once the fortified outpost of the defensive walls that surrounded this part of Krakow. Compared to the wall in Warsaw, much more survived during World War 2. Krakow was spared heavy bombardement.

I then walked through the Florianska Gate (Brama Florianska) and onto Florianska street. It was much more crowded, but the nice sunny weather played a big part in that.

Lots of restaurants and shops are occupying the ground level of the buildings, with the big brand name restaurants/shops making this place more commercial.

But don't let this set you back, the Old Town is still a nice place to wander around in. Especially the streets just outside the Main Market (Rynek Glowny). This square is almostin the center of the Old Town, surrounded by a big number of bars and restaurants, with their terraces.

On the square I saw several historical buildings, like the Basilica of the Holy Virgin Mary (Kosciol Mariacki), the Cloth Hall (Sukiennice), St. Wojciech Church (Kosciol Sw. Wojciecha) and the the Former City Hall (Wieza Ratuszowa).

On the outer streets of the Main Square, I saw old buildings and a number of churches, like the Basilica of the Holy Trinity (Bazylika Swietej Trojcy), as well as the Church of St. Peter and Paul (Kosciol Sw. Piotra I Pawla) (very beautiful on the inside).

On Grodzka street I walked to the Wawel Royal Castle, the former Royal Castle. The Old Town itself is surrounded by a large park called Planty, ideal for a stroll.

All in all, this place is a must see part of Krakow and enables you to spend hours walking around or enjoy a nice drink on one of the many terraces.
Barbican (Barbakan)
Florianska Gate (Brama Florianska)
Florianska Gastreet
Basilica of the Holy Virgin Mary (…
Airportman says:
ik-ben-10eke says:
Beautiful picture Ivar, nice review as well.
Airportman says:
Thank you, Mark! :) I just loved it there!
Posted on: Nov 14, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Old Town (Stare Miasto)

Day 5: Travelling from Warsaw to Krakow
I got up around 8:00am. It was another sunny morning, so apart from the friday, which was rainy, I had no complaints about the weather so far. I took a shower and then got dressed. I put aw…Krakow's Old Town (Stare Miasto). On the map I saw how big it was and where I could walk…

Check Krakow Hotel Deals