Old Town Mexican Cafe

www.oldtownmexcafe.com - (619) 297-4330

Old Town Mexican Cafe San Diego Reviews

rabrown rabrown
Delicious! Aug 10, 2011
Of the many places there are to eat in Old Town, Fred's must be one of the most lax and best tasting place in the area. In addition to my personal favorite of "Taco Tuesday's", 1 dollar tacos, margaritas are the best in the area which is hard to do but it gets accomplished quite easily at Fred's. Food is great and different if you are not from the San Diego community, (see California Burrito). Not the cheapest place on the block but food is great and ranges from a great place to grab a burrito or taco en route to many of the other places in the area.
silirat silirat
Delicious Apr 11, 2009
After seeing this restaurant touted as the most authentic Mexican food in San Diego I had to go. Prior to this, all of the Mexican food I had ever tasted was the same, and it tasted like the kind that comes in a boxes. That just didn't seem right. And this place proved it.

I went to the restaurant at 1;30 on a sunny Saturday afternoon. It was packed and there was a wait list. One of the advantages on traveling alone is that you can sometimes luck out. A single seat by the bar is much easier to get than a table for 5. I was seated in about 7 minutes.

Although the place was packed, the service was fast. Within a minute sitting down I had water and a bowl of corn chips. 4 minutes later my beer and within 15 minutes was eating my lunch.

And what a lunch. I normally don't eat corn chips, but the look of the salsa compelled me. Rather than a mush, I could see recognizable little cubes of vegetables and leafs of brilliant green cilantro. It was as good as it looked. For my meal, I had fish tacos. I'm don't always like fish, but I had a good feeling about this place and they delivered. The only problem being that I haven't found anyone that makes as good since.

My lunch with beer came for 17$ including tip, which was reasonable considering the beer.
montecarlostar says:
I am sure that Mexican food in San Diego must be much more authentic than in the rest of the USA.
Posted on: Jan 29, 2012
imchino imchino
Mar 14, 2007
Old Town Mexican Cafe has to be a must on any Mexican food fan's list of places to eat while in beautiful San Diego. The place has the longest line in all of old town and with good reason; the food is great! If you attempt to eat here on a weekend night, be prepared to wait 45 min to be seated as it is a really popular place. Just drop someone in your party off at the door to put your names on the list and walk around looking at all the cool shops. You have to try the Carnitas plate, its very popular and is pretty close to homestyle cooking. The tortillas are made fresh in the front of the restaurant. You will not be dissapointed by eating here. BUEN PROVECHO!!
across the street from the restaur…
ya97ya ya97ya
May 17, 2007
I have to agree. This is one of the best mexican food places in San Diego. If you are a fan of Mexican Food I definately recommend it. Yes, the wait may be long at times but it's worth it in the end.

Check San Diego Hotel Deals