Old State Capitol Building

Old State Capitol Plaza, Springfield, IL, USA

Old State Capitol Building Springfield Reviews

alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
very informative tour Jul 24, 2010
The Old State Capitol is where the future President Lincoln presented his law cases, sat in the senate, ran his presidential campaign, and delivered several important speeches. This building was the Illinois State Capitol building from 1839 - 1876.

We had a tour guide that made the tour entertaining and educational. The Old State Capitol is unique because it housed all three branches of the legislature (back in the Lincoln's time). The tour covered most of the rooms on both the main and upper floor. The major downside here was that people kept joining our tour (it started as a private tour with our group of 12) and soon there were too many people to even fit in the rooms during the tour.

But overall, it was very interesting and filled with information on Lincoln and what life was like back during his time. There were several original artifacts and newspapers in remarkable shape for being almost 150 years old. Well worth a visit.

There is a donation box and suggested donations are $4/adult, but you can still tour for free.
Old State Capitol
accounting room
learning about the government's re…
game room
ahtibat17 ahtibat17
History Made Fun Dec 15, 2009
The State Capitol was at this location from 1839 to 1876. The fifth building, but the first in Springfield.

My visit proved to be more educational, and more importantly, more FUN than what I expected. I thought I'd go through and be done, half-hour tops. I was there for nearly two hours. The two guides were so friendly and informative that we just kept chatting. (The tour does not by any means take two hours. Charlie, my guide kept telling me that if I needed to go, he'd speed the tour up, but he was so knowledgeable that I didn't mind). I learned obscure facts about Abraham Lincoln, who served in the state legislature in the House of Representatives here, and Stephen Douglas, a Supreme Court Judge, as well as modern day history regarding Barack Obama.

Anyone interested in history, especially Lincoln-enthusiasts should tour the Old State Capitol Building of Illinois.
The Old State Capitol Building
The first state library. The news…

Check Springfield Hotel Deals