Old Sheldon's Prince William's Parish Church

Beaufort, South Carolina

Old Sheldon's Prince William's Parish Church Beaufort Reviews

fritabandita fritaban…
Old Sheldon's Prince William's Parish Church Jan 04, 2013
If you drive down highway 21, you will find Old Sheldon's Prince William's Parish Church off to your right. I recommend parking in the empty lot of to your right. It is a fairly isolated area, but traffic can get a bit heavy from time to time and it is much easier to turn around in a field.

The church has not been in use since it was burned down for the second time in 1865, but there are annual services held here and the land can be booked for special occassions. I believe we may have seen a sign advertising this as we were walking the grounds.

The trees, like most in the area, were covered in spanish moss. Which, in my opinion, is very pretty. Some of the trees, for whatever reason, had split down the middle and were filled with layers of bricks. I had never seen this before. And, am very curious as to why this was chosen. I didnt notice it at first because the color happened to blend quite well.

As you walk through the skeleton of the church, it is hard to imagine how it has managed to survive- especially after two fires. It was built very well. The land surrounding the church is scattered with grave stones. I am unsure of the reason for this, but most of the people burried here were care takers for the church. I was suprised that most had lived to be quite old.. in their 80s or so- very impressive for that time period. But, there were also several that didnt make it past their first or fifth year.

There are a few benches and picnic tables scattered around the area as well. It would be a nice place for a picnic lunch. And, provides enough room for the kiddies to play and avoid getting hurt.

It is free and does not have any sort of hour restriction. But, is recommended that you coming between dusk and dawn.

Check Beaufort Hotel Deals