Old Penang GuestHouse

Check Penang Hotel Deals

Old Penang GuestHouse Reviews

applewoman applewom…
Heritage guesthouse in party area! Jul 28, 2012
A very nice heritage building. The room and bathrooms are clean. Breakfast is simple – toast, jam, fruit, coffee or tea - but OK. Keep in mind that this is a party area. There was music until late and the first night some-one was banging on the door in the middle of the night to get in. So I didn't sleep that good when staying there.

But on the other hand the location is great. In the middle of Georgetown. Base to visit the heritage sites of Georgetown. And the streets to taste the lovely street food just around the corner.

Overall we had a good stay!
Sitting area downstairs.
Guesthouse by night.
Tasting some lovely street food.
Having breakfast in the morning.
joatsg joatsg
Guesthouse in Penang Mar 28, 2011
We stayed at this guesthouse during our culinary tour (March 4-6, 2011) after reading good reviews about this place.

I wasn't that impressed. Its on a good location, clean enough, basic facilities. Just a bit disappointed with the overall look and feel. It didn't work for me.
diverdan15 diverdan…
Great Guesthouse Mar 08, 2011
A great Guesthouse with a very helpful staff! I enjoyed my stay here! But you always have to book in advance! Great Value for money and free Internet! There are shared Bathroom and TV in the Lobby and unfortunately no window in my room not sure about the other rooms. But every room has aircon!
Guesthouse Entry
d2amy d2amy
Cute place, but how do they keep the dorm so cold?!? Jun 05, 2011
When I think back to staying at this hostel, all I can remember is that the room was FREEZING and the staff were super friendly. Let's stay with the staff.

I arrived at Penang Guesthouse at 5am in the morning. I had a room booked for that following night. I was sick as a dog and all I wanted was to sleep, especially since the night bus I had just arrived on from Kuala Lumpur was not the easiest to sleep on. He told me that the book I had originally booked was full, but the 12 co-ed dorm was available. He let me go in at 5am, and only pay for the one night, which I found more than amazing, since most of the hostels in Australia don't let you check in until 2, WHICH I HATE BY THE WAY. Whenever I returned to the reception they were always super friendly and happy to help me with my questions.

The rooms have Aircon, and boy do they ever have aircon. For a 12 bed dorm I could find it super hard to keep completely freezing with people coming in and out so frequently. All it was was a little boxy thing that moved around that kept it cold. It was so cold though that I slept with trackys on, a jacket and a scarf ,along with the heavy blanket provided. I mean you can get to sleep, but I think it might have been a little too much if you ask me.

The location is close to all the sites of Georgetown, you can easily walk in like 30 minutes, assuming you can man up and cross the street (traffic is insane here!). There's a market about 5 minutes away, and a great food place just down the street where the serve food until the wee hours of the night.

I didn't much like Penang, so chances are I'll never be back, but if for some odd reason I am back, I'll be staying here, no questions asked.
broncoyuen broncoyu…
Neat and cheap and convenient! Mar 10, 2011
I only stayed there for 1 night cos i was attending a wedding the next day.

The guesthouse is in really convenient location and there are food nearby. Cha Kuai Teow is really cheap and yummg. it's nearby 7-11 at the end of the block. At night there are some hawker food - dont eat the hotdog tohugh. i didnt like it.

One thing though - if you go out at night, you'll have to press the deafening door bell
noellenew noellenew
Budget yet Very Comfortable stay in Penang Jun 21, 2010
this would be the best place to stay at Penang Georgetown, friendly people and good service and very easy to get to from the airport. I paid RM35 for a room with air conditioning and very comfortable bed ! inclusive breakfast too ;)

Related Travel Blogs About Old Penang GuestHouse

Malaysia, Perth (Australia) & Hong Kong
April 24th - We checked out about 8am and had ourfree breakfast of toast and tea. We both also left a bag of stuff that we wouldn't be needing for the next couple of weeks at the guesthouse as we wou…guesthouses before finding The Old Penang Guesthouse which was great. It is a really old colonial style building with…

Check Penang Hotel Deals