Olango Island

Cebu, Philippines

Olango Island Cebu Reviews

riantravel riantrav…
Olango Island Cebu - Hidden Gem of Cebu Oct 01, 2011
One of the many things that people tend to do at Cebu is to visit popular destinations in the city. Little do they know that Olango Island offers a much more relaxing stay at the province. If you are looking for something to do other than taking pictures of Lapu Lapu shrine or Magellan's cross, then head to the island. The food is relatively cheap that's why we had our lunch out there. You can request a local to buy fresh seafoods from the villagers and have them cooked according to your preference. They are really fresh. We were four in the group and we only spent 500 pesos for the entire sumptuous meal consisting of squids, fishes, shrimps, plenty of rice and softdrinks.

How about the scenery? Well, I wouldn't say that it is paradise but I like it. It is the "country" or "probinsya" charm that I like. It is very laid back and may pass as a sleepy town/island. In any case, this is the type of location that I like. Peaceful, quiet (just like when you are in a survivor TV episode) and with friendly and curious locals. I do not think it is one of the prime tourist destinations of Cebu because it simply lacks the tourist-y appeal. It is only good for people who are very open minded and who do not complain a lot. The view is very rustic but gives you that calmness of a feeling.

On the other hand, you can also catch some excitement when you visit the eastern part of the island, a tricycle ride away. What to expect? Well, migratory birds are to be found on that side of the island but you have to be on the schedule as I've read they are to be seen between November to March only. You can take lots of beautiful pictures out there especially during sunsets.

One simply needs to check out with the local as well when it comes to weather. Practically Cebu has a cloudy type of a weather, well at least based on what I observed. This is also true with Olango Island. By the time we arrived, the sun was burning our skin. However, a few hours (3-4) later up to the afternoon, dark nimbus clouds were present. A light drizzle also took place so better ask the locals about the weather.

I have taken a few shots of the island but posted only one of them as the files are too large. As you can see, the sand is whitish but not really fine. Of course, we did not complain since we had the beach all by ourselves that time. A few steps backward and the sand turns into grasses and grasses turns into trees.

Will I go back to this place? Yes, if the time permits. I am actually planning on going back to Cebu to explore the northern and southern parts of the island. I heard some majestic scenery are available down south so I might as well try going there soon.
Olango Island Cebu, Philippines