Oktoberfest

Munich, Germany

Oktoberfest Munich Reviews

Samgal Samgal
Drink slowly Feb 16, 2013
10euro/1litre strong beer please drink slowly. During the week you could go anytime but if you're planning to go on the weekend make sure you are in the line in front of the tent before 9am or else good luck trying to sneak inside. Don't get too excited chugging your beer, you'll start puking within one hour and leave before noon. I witness a group of tourists making this mistake.

Watch out for your belongings, pick-pockets travel to Munich during Oktoberfest just to steal. Keep your passport in the hotel, only bring a photocopy of it.
dutchman9696 dutchman…
Worldwide Party Time May 11, 2011
If you're interested in mingling with people from around the world in a fun, friendly and just plain have a 'blast' of a time, Oktoberfest is a MUST to do. I took my two older kids and they each brought a friend. Having grown-up in Munich, I was pretty familiar with Oktoberfest and what it was all about and tried to prepare my kids for what they would experience. Even with that preparation, they were absolutely awestruck. We would get there about lunch time after selecting a couple of the beer tents we wanted to visit. After spending some time in one tent we would go out and enjoy the 'carnival' part of the festival. After we had our fill of games and rides, we would go into the second selected tent and 'camp out' until close to closing. If you go, you have to experience the beer and radishes combination. To summarize what my kids thought of the experience (We also toured Bavaria and Austria, so don't think we were there just for the beer.), it was AWESOME!!! You will meet people from around the world, and language barriers quickly disappear - especially when you start dancing on the tables to the beat of the 'umpa bands'. The waitresses carrying 6-8 full liter beer steins is a sight to behold. The only warning I'll give is that security is really tight, so don't try and leave with a beer stein. Just buy them outside if that's what you want as a souvenir. Enjoy!!
jermy00 jermy00
pick pockets... Jul 18, 2011
hi the oktoberfest in munich i an incredible place to party it's a lot of fun i loved it the only downside is that some people like to take adventage of people when they had a few drinks... so just DONT BRING ANYTHING VALUABLE!!!! i went u 2 in a row and both years we got stolen first year was my friend's purse and second year i got my camera stolen buy pick pockets and they were cute girls with the traditional dress loll so just be aware bring as les as possible and enjoy it's still a grest place to go!!
Andrew- Andrew-
Oktoberfest 2009 in Munich, Germany Jul 06, 2011
Adding some pictures for keepsake, this was on my bucket-list of things to do and it was one hell of a vacation.. Stayed in a hostel the whole time, but spent all my time with friends of mine who live in Germany, the American dudes shown, and others I met along the way..
Hofbräu-Festzelt - biggest beer-t…
Schweinshaxe (sooooo good)
Yes please!
The Hofbräu-Festzelt - Day 3
Foxtrot04 Foxtrot04
Epic May 03, 2011
Oktoberfest is amazing. Everybody needs to experience a proper Oktoberfest in Germany. I did stopped here on my contiki tour and doesn't disappoint. you got to get the full experience by getting a huge pretzel and some bratwurst then washing them down with a stein or 6. Going into the beer hauls and mixing it with the locals then tackle some of the rides outside they ain't too bad either.
travelman727 travelma…
Everyone's Bavarian & Your Best Friend Oct 01, 2010
OKTOBERFEST

Oktoberfest is Munich's world-famous people fair that is held for 16-18 days from late September to early October. With the opening of the first keg by Munich's Mayor and a cry of "O'zapft is!" (It is tapped!), Oktoberfest officially begins.

The first festival occurred on October 12, 1810 to commemorate the marriage of Crown Prince Ludwig (later to become King Ludwig I) and Princess Therese. This event, which featured a horse race, was so successful that it was renewed the next year. And so it goes...

Today, Oktoberfest is the world's largest festival, drawing over 6 million visitors every year.

We held our TravBuddy meetup in 2010 at Hofbräu Festzelt. This place seats 10,000 and is currently the biggest of the 14 large tents. Even though it was 200th year anniversary, it was only the 177th shindig due to war or cholera outbreaks.

Oktoberfest is something everyone should experience. There's something wonderful about standing on benches - singing, swaying and chugging brew to drinking songs with thousands of your new pals. Music is almost as important to Oktoberfest as its liquid gold.

Seats at tables in the tents are at a premium. We arrived on a Friday morning at 10:00 a.m. to make sure to secure our spots.

Talk to anyone who's ever attended; there's nothing quite like Oktoberfest where everyone in your beer tent is Bavarian and your best friend.
Everyone's Bavarian & your BFF
kbutera says:
Can anyone give us any suggestions for a reasonably priced hotel? Doesnt have to be in Munich but fairly close. Thank You!
Posted on: Mar 18, 2012
travelman727 says:
Judith, we just barely missed each other :( Hopefully, we'll be able to meet somewhere around our terrific TravBuddy world :-D
Posted on: Mar 01, 2011
dithsky says:
i was there on the last 2 days of oktoberfest and just had lunch and the restaurants were packed. too bad the shops were closed on the last day which was a sunday
Posted on: Mar 01, 2011
erojas3 erojas3
free and lots of fun Sep 25, 2010
Free to enter inside the park, free to enter inside the gardens, free to enter inside the tents!

I had been looking forward to this occasion before I had even left from the states! Seeing this festival portrayed in various movies, I just knew I had to go one day and when better than for its 200th year celebration?

When I was there unfortunately I didn't dress up. However if you go, join the fun and dress up! Be aware, you will see drunk people and a lot of them. After all, Oktoberfest is basically known to americans and others as a huge drinking festival!

It starts mid September and runs into the first week of October, lasting abou 2 weeks. Open everyday. Lots of carnival rides, delicious food like 3 meter bratwurst, huge beers, bavarian food and a large selection of sweets. I recommend going and experiencing this festival one day.
prost!
3 meter bratwurst
the crowd
montecarlostar says:
Algún día... *sigh*
Posted on: Mar 14, 2011
mypictures4u mypictur…
Aug 01, 2007
Even if you are not a beer drinker (like me) "Oktoberfest" is a fascinating experience.

It is the world's biggest fair. Takes place on the so called "Theresienwiese" ("Wiesn") in late September and early Oktober. The unavoidable "Oktoberfest beer" is being served in huge glasses called "mass" (one litre). In addition to that many Bavarian delicacies like "pretzels", Lewakaas (liver cheese) or "Obazda" (Bavarian cheese speciality with Camembert, onion, paprika, caraway, butter) are being offered at the so called 14 "Bierzelte" (beer tents). These tents are actually solid structures with enogh space for many thousand visitors. Typical Bavarian music + "Schlager" and pop is being played.

Lots of thrill rides including a huge rollercoaster are also part of the fair.

Please note:

You will notice many traditional dressed Bavrians (Lederhosn, Dirndl) at the "Wies'n". Neither their clothing nor the food is typical for Germany as a whole. Not everybody in Germany likes "Weisswurst mit Sauerkraut". :-D
A traditional dressed old Bavarian.
My first "Mass".
Inside one of the beer tents.
The "Löwenbräu" beer tent.
Pearl510 says:
This festival seems to be pretty budget friendly. If I had a "mass" with one liter of beer in it, that could keep me occupied for a whole night. So that would mean I'd only have to pay one :) (Yet I guess I would spend the rest of my money on the roller coaster, no doubt).
Posted on: Aug 03, 2007
Kana says:
I'd love to experience that once! :)
Posted on: Aug 01, 2007
rudegurl rudegurl
Aug 23, 2007
Well as for hostels. You could try the wombat. They have 2 more in vienna that i stayed at and they were great. They are super safe and clean. But do make sure to book a few months ahead. The closer it gets to oktoberfest the busier it'll get. If you want to look up more choices you can go to hostels .com and there you can get reviews on lots of hostels and hotel. Anything under 80% rating you might not want to go. Also make ure you pick a hostel with 24 hr open doors. Otherwise you could get locked out.
TracieBoykin TracieBo…
Jul 26, 2007
Oktoberfest in Munich is great. Lot's of huge stien's of beer's,and ale's. Lot's of music,Sing alongs,dancing,food,rides. So much to do and see you have to get there early and stay late. You will meet lots of people. The atmospher is very friendly. The food is great,be prepared to gain a few pounds. But most of all relax,and enjoy and take lots of pictures.
ralphito ralphito
Jul 13, 2007
I've been wanting to go since 5 years..now its the time, i'llbe attending 2007 Oktoberfest!!
Andrew- says:
GOING TO THIS EVENT IS ONE OF MY TOP 5 THINGS TO DO BEFORE I'M 30!! F'N AWESOME!
Posted on: Aug 03, 2007
Eric Eric
Sep 20, 2004
Oktoberfest was amazing! At first I thought it would just be like a giant, drunken, dirty international frat party (which I would have happily passed on), but my experience was much different than that. There are 14 beer tents, each sponsored by a different beer company. The word "tent" is a bit of a misnomer because these structures are huge, each containing hundreds of tables and capable of fitting thousands of people. Each tent generally has a different vibe and theme too. There were tents filled with predominantly local, German familes and others (like Hofbrau) which consisted almost soley of drunken American and Australian tourists.The thing that struck me the most about Oktoberfest was how friendly everyone was. Maybe it was because everyone was drinking, or maybe it's because people from Munich are extraordinarily friendly, but the entire atmosphere felt warm and inviting. We didn't know that we had to reserve tables at the different beer tents (literally every table was booked), but often it was no problem because friendly German familes would invite us over to eat, drink, and be merry with them. You could easily tell that all the locals were proud of their traditions and celebrations and that they wanted everyone else to feel just as comfortable as they were. Overall, Oktoberfest feels like a giant family gathering rather than a giant, wild party.In addition to the beer tents, the festival grounds also contained a ton of amusement park type rides, many which would have probably been banned in the States because of safety code violations. For example, there was a giant, flat, saucer-type contraption with seats along the outside that just spun around and tilted at crazy angles. None of the seats had any restraining harnesses and often times people could be seen grabbing onto the side rails with their legs flailing in the air. Definitely not recommended after having a few steins of beer and a hearty slab of pork dripping in gravy.
View of the fairgrounds from the t…
Front of the Lowenbrau beer tent.
Spinny saucer ride of death!
kbutera says:
Does anyone know of any reasonably priced hotels? Doesn't have to be Munich but fairly close to the festival.

THANK YOU!
Posted on: Mar 18, 2012
rainsoup says:
Hey. Thanks for all the info! I'm going this year and I am SOOOO excited! I read in a travel book that you should reserve a table at a tent early...like, now. Did you do that? Do you know how I might do that? Your experience sounds really great and I can't wait to go myself! Happy traveling.
Posted on: Jun 08, 2007
Eric says:
Oktoberfest was great, it's like a big fair! Even if you don't drink beer, there are plenty of other things that they serve at the tents. Most places have full menus and tons of food. Definitely worth checking out just for the atmosphere alone - was one of the best experiences I had traveling through Europe.

I'll have to try the ride when I haven't been drinking ;)
Posted on: May 31, 2007