Shakawe, Okavango Delta, Botswana

Okavango Houseboat Okavango Delta Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
A floating hotel Oct 14, 2011
I had never stayed on a houseboat before and was excited. We were picked up at Shakawe airport and driven to the riverbank. At first glance the houseboat looked like a cardboard box. I didn´t think it was going to be able to sail up the river, but it did. The houseboat had two floors, a ground floor with 8 double rooms and two verandahs, one in the back and one in the front. The upstairs had a dinning room/lounge/bar and a small kitchen.

The rooms were tiny, it was just enough room to walk between the beds and not much space for two peoples luggage. There were to comfortable single beds with mosquito nets. The bathroom was also small, but a toilet, a wash basin and a walk-in shower with sliding doors amazingly did fit in. The water pressure was good most of the time, but the hot water was very unpredictable. The toilet needed water to flush and the water was only available when the generator was running. Same with the shower. The generator was turned on a few times a day, but stayed off all through the night, which was good for us since it was placed next to our room.

When we went to bed I was wandering why on earth they had thick duvets and extra blankets on the bed since it was so hot. Believe me, by 4 am I was glad I had them, I was so cold.

Breakfast lunch and dinner was included. Breakfast consisted of cereal, yoghurt and toast. We had a warm lunch every day. It was different kind of pies or lasagna. Dinner was lovely and we also had dessert. The cook did a great job in his little kitchen. Tea/coffee was served at the buffet all day.

We stayed at the houseboat for three nights. Even though the houseboat sailed up and down the river, it was slow and not easy to maneuver, so we got into smaller boats to explore the river.

This is a good stay if you are interested in birds. If you think that you are getting into the Okavango Delta, think again. It´s on a river in the Okavango Delta´s Panhandle area. I find USD 920 pr person for a 3 night stay a bit too much. It´s a comfortable stay, but far from luxury.
Our cabin
our cabin
gimpel says:
I saw the tv serie bush pilots that are flying tourist into the delta. What a beautiful area the okavango delta.To bad you only stay on the river.
Posted on: Jul 02, 2014
sweettangerine says:
Sounds like a really great experience! Would love to try this too :-)
Posted on: Oct 14, 2011
sarahsan says:
The houseboat was good, I was just very disappointed that we did not get into the Delta itself. It´s a totally different experience than to be on a river.
Posted on: Oct 14, 2011