Ohiopyle Falls

Ohiopyle, Pennsylvania

Ohiopyle Falls Reviews

Zagnut66 Zagnut66
Ohiopyle Oct 25, 2013
The small town of Ohiopyle sits in the middle of Ohiopyle State Park along the Youghiogheny River. There is a pedestrian bridge over the river that is part of the Great Alleghany Passage, a lengthy hiking trail through Western Pennsylvania. The town has restaurants, B & B's, at least one motel, and several places that rent out bicycles and kayaks. A free parking lot by the river is partially blocked for the construction of a new visitor center set to open in 2014, but there is plenty of free parking elsewhere.

Observation decks along the Yough provide great views of the Ohiopyle Falls. This is a perfect town to stay in for a weekend trip to the Laurel Highlands due to its central location. The Frank Lloyd Wright houses Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob are each about a ten minute drive away. I stopped by during the week in September and some of the restaurants were closed except on weekends, but that's what I get for traveling in the offseason. Had I known about this cool little place prior to my pilgrimage to the Wright houses, I would have booked a room here rather than drive another twenty minutes to Donegal.
Welcome to Ohiopyle
The Youghiogheny River
Pedestrian bridge
Pedestrian bridge
vances says:
yuck-UH-haney

My attempt at a phonetic spelling...

:^)
cotton_foam says:
like a hidden treasure...I like the place already :)
Zagnut66 says:
The river name is usually shortened to Yough, which sounds like "Yok" when pronounced (at least to my ears). I don't think I can pronounce its full name.

Check Ohiopyle Hotel Deals