Odeon of Herodes Atticus

Odeon of Herodes Atticus Athens Reviews

Johnpro Johnpro
Herodeion or Odeon of Herodes Atticus ! Jan 02, 2012
History :

It was the third odeion to be built in Athens 160-157 AD after the Odeion of Perikles and that of Agrippa. It was erected by Herodes in memory of his wife Regilla, who died in 160 AD.

The open space in front of the HerodeionThe Odeion of Herodes Attikus, also known as the Herodeion, is shaped as a semicircular theatre, with a radius of 80 meters (124,5ft) and it can seat around 6.000 people. The facade, 28 meters (91,8ft) high, was massive having a width of 2,40 meters (7,8ft). The wall of the scene was lavishly decorated with architectural marble elements. The public seats also were made of marble and the front of the three-story stage was richly decorated with columns and niches. The roof must have been made of cedar wood.

The Odeion was destroyed during the invasion of the Herulae who also destroyed most of the city's monuments in 267 AD.

Useful Links : http://www.herodeion-events.gr/index_en.html

What around : Acropolis , Plaka , Monastiraki , Theiseio & Arxaia Agora , Kerameikos, and more .

How to go : Just come up from the new Acropolis Museum or come down from Acropolis ! With Metro , acropolis terminal !

Tips :

Opening hours and tickets :

Summer (01/04-31/10) , 08:00-19:30 daily Mon 11:00-19:30

Winter (01/11-31/03) , 08:00-17:00 daily

Normal 2 Euro , Reduced 2 Euro . The prices @ 2011 .

Every Sunday in winter period have free entrance for the most of that !

Nice ancient theater in the heart of Athens !

The photos are mixed from different visits from 2009-2011 !

P.s. I make the review like a small guide ! I know is more better and easier to read ! If you ask me what I like ? I like all of them and love to be a tourist in my city :)

I am not Historical or a Guide , just explore my city :) . Extra information contact with me :). Thanks for reading !
Johnpro says:
@Cicie , yes dear friend they can use it , but only serious local artists or very famous from all over the world or for ancient theatrical events . I have also a link if you see it have some events :)

I try my friend Fauz to make it so simple to be more helpful , like a small guide book :)

Posted on: Feb 04, 2012
FoxyFauz says:
Lol! Thank u for putting the info on the timings n costs involved. Very useful so we don't have to go and google it to find out more:)
Posted on: Feb 03, 2012
cicie says:
I read about history about his building :)Is this building still can be used for music concerts?
Posted on: Feb 03, 2012