Octopus card

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Octopus card Hong Kong Reviews

Chokk Chokk
A Hong Kong must! Jan 23, 2012
The Octopus card is probably the best investment you as a tourist can make in Hong Kong, because the card gives you easy access to all trains, the subway network, ferries and buses in the Hong Kong area. It is even possible to use the card in Starbucks cafés, 7-11 and so on.

On a personal account I did the mistake that I didn’t buy it as soon as I arrived, which gave me at least one day of setback in easy use of the public transport.

You can use the card for the ferries to Lamma Island, Lantau and Cheung Chau! Actually all the ferries going from HK Island Pier also the Star ferry between Hong Kong Island and Kowloon.

The transport system of Hong Kong is really efficient and naturally it has been constructed in consideration to all the people living on this narrow space and to my belief the Octopus Card is an important reason why things are moving on so smooth and fast. I wish that they had a system like this in Copenhagen or in all huge cities.

The card itself has an in-built RFID-tag and you therefore only need to hold the card on a plate at the entry or arrival point and you pay with the card and it let you know how much value you have left on it.

You can purchase the card for 150 HK$, refill is easy and when you leave Hong Kong you can hand it in and get 9 HK$ back if you don’t want to keep it as a souvenir or use it again when you come back again - because you are coming back are you not? - I am....
In the Subway
In the Subway
Chokk says:
It works perfectly :)
Posted on: Nov 06, 2013
soonthiam says:
Glad I didn't miss this tips.:)
Posted on: Nov 06, 2013
Chokk says:
and like an outcast, Vance ;D
Posted on: Feb 28, 2012
StephAAMU StephAAMU
Explore Hong Kong the Easy Way Jul 24, 2011
The Octopus Card is a great value for tourists. For $300 HKD (about $42 USD) you will receive 2 rides on the airport express train and unlimited subway rides for 72 hours. It is an awesome value and it's a super timesaver. Plus when you turn it back in at the airport kiosk you'll receive a $50 HKD refund! I referred to my octopus card as my "ticket to ride", it was definitely a good value because I took lots of rides on the metro which is faster than going by bus. I highly recommend the Octopus card!
Lotus28 says:
Hehe I love Octopus card too! You should buy it online next time so that you can get $20 HKD discount!
Posted on: Jul 24, 2011
L_ombre_jaune L_ombre_…
Apr 27, 2007
The octopus card is offer in every metro station and right off the airport. You can pay every kind of transport there is with it and save at the same time.

Our suggestion;

TAKE IT!

We personely took the 150 HKD card travel in the MRT for 3 days with it and still had 33 HKD in the end on it.We don't think you should take the 220$ one unless your really think you'll use the express train To or From the airport or that you'll spend your time in the MRT (the bus is 33 HKD and you get to see HK before you leave).
mingshi says:
Yep - you can now use Octopus on many vending machines (like, for a can of cola), 7-11, etc.
Posted on: Feb 01, 2008
danbe says:
you can also use it in certain resturants and stores/supermarkets.
Posted on: Jun 11, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Octopus card

Stars, Space and Laser Shows
After a 5 hour overnight flight from Kathmandu we arrived tired in Hong Kong at 6:30am  as we didn’t get much sleep on the plane.  Getting through customs was easy and super fast unli…Hong Kong dollars then found the Octopus Card machine. We looked all over the machine trying to work out how we purchased…
Leaving for Hong Kong
It's been so long that I haven't updated my blogs after a long holiday in Philippines, Hong Kong and Macau. But I'm gonna catch up with that...bringing you to my Magical Journey full of excitements a…Hong Kong was much more favorable than I thought. From the airport, we bought for our octopus card worth 150 HK$ with…

Check Hong Kong Hotel Deals