S/N Avinguda del Profesor López Piñero (Hist de la Medic), Valencia, Spain

Oceanografic Valencia Reviews

davidx davidx
A truly sensational aquarium Mar 10, 2005
I remember that some time ago on another website somebody talked about his favourite places in Spain and included Valencia. I asked him what was special about Valencia and he told me to go and find out. Eventually I did and there's a lot. I doubt this one was open at the time as it's a 21st century attraction.

Where to start? Perhaps with the river - or rather the lack of one! After major flood trouble the river was diverted away from the city and the bridges are left crossing a dry valley. (Imagine a Thamesless London or a Seineless Paris!!) However they set about using the 'valley' productively for sports and parks. Then they started to build the City of Arts and Sciences. This was a marvel of turn of century (20/21) architecture. I know somebody who is quite unmoved by it. I was thrilled when I looked a it on the Internet but the price of entry to the Oceanografic put me off and I expected to look from outside, a resolution that must have lasted all of 15 seconds once I got there.

Incidentally 'Oceanografic' is Valenciano word. If it has too many syllables for you try the Castillian Spanish 'Oceanografico.'

Rather than trying to visualise it from a long description, get the website and click on 'Oceanografic's digital brochure' on the right. When you have the download, the second page is a splendid map.

In short there are huge pavilions for all ocean regions of the world by climate, a terrific dolphin show and a cinema, as well as places to eat. It's certainly the best auarium I have seen - there are two in the UK that I want to try but I think it is even better than the Oceanarium at Lisbon, which I shall review next.
Part of the City of Arts and Scien…
In the Oceanografic