Oceanarium

Esplanada D. Carlos I. Doca dos Olivais ., Lisbon, Portugal

Oceanarium Lisbon Reviews

Maurizioago Maurizio…
It' s more than an aquarium. Jan 28, 2017
The Oceanario is located within the modern area of Parque das Nacoes that was developed for the World Expo held in Lisbon in 1998.

The Oceanario is more than an aquarium. In fact this structure was set to recreate the five ocean habitats. Here you' ll see various kinds of fishes and other sea creatures.

Once you' re inside this place it is like being under the sea.

I liked very much looking at some large groups of fishes swimming; the mantas that seemed to fly and two otters swimming on their back. There are also some penguins there.
slothtraveller slothtra…
A memorable aquarium visit Feb 23, 2017
I visited the Oceanario aquarium in Lisbon with my sister in September 2016. The aquarium is located at Parque das Nações, a district of Lisbon near Oriente station which is both modern and beautiful, overlooking the River Tagus.

It was a warm day when we visited so we were glad to escape the heat into the cool surroundings of the aquarium. We didn't have to queue for entry when we arrived and the entrance staff were friendly and polite, asking where we were visiting from.

We were very impressed by this place. The focal point of the Oceanario is a giant round central tank that can be viewed at various points around its circumference. Jutting off from the main tank are areas housing more typical aquarium exhibits in smaller tanks. It's not all fish and invertebrates either. Both my sister and I loved seeing the sea otters, penguins and puffins. Indeed some of the birds didn't seem to be kept in their enclosures by anything and were flying freely around their areas. We wondered how it was that they stayed in one place and didn't escape!

There are plenty of spots around the museum where you can sit watching the main tank and relax as the sharks and rays swim by. We visited before lunch and the aquarium was busy but not excessively so. We spent about an hour and a half there and when we left to get some lunch, a large line of people were queuing for tickets outside so my advice is get there early!

Although not cheap, the entry price was reasonable- about 15 Euros per person if I remember correctly. I would happily visit here again and recommend it for a family-friendly day out in Lisbon!
Shark at Oceanario Lisboa
Rockpool
Sea Otter
Seadragon
Devika1985 Devika19…
Oceanario Lisbon Aug 08, 2011
I visited the Oceanario in Lisbon in July, 2011.

The Oceanario is situated at the Parque de Nacoes, (Parc of the Nations) and whenever you get to visit this area you should not miss the Oceanario. The exterior of the building alone is very pretty. The Oceanario is all about the different oceans we have on this planet and the connection between all those oceans. In the middle there is a huge tank with a lit of beautiful fishes and other sea-animals. Take a seat on one of the sides of the huge tank and watch all the fish go by. It's really beautiful! What I like best about this place are the areas around the central tank. If you follow the path trough the building, it will lead you past representations of all the different oceans we have and past 'information-galleries' where you can learn all about the water on our planet. Very beautiful and informative. The different area's that represent the other oceans are really well made! For example; you will enter a very cold and icy area that holds penguins and other arctic wateranimals. There is also an area about the Indian ocean wich is warm and has beautiful corals and waterplants in amazing colors and cute colorful fish. The whole construction of the place is impressive and there's a combination of entertainment and education. I really recommend a visit to this place I loved it there.
davidx davidx
Watery delight Mar 13, 1999
When I visited the Oceanarium, I was sure that if I ever wrote about it, it would be as the most wonderful aquarium I had seen. Time passes and I think it has to cede that honour (lol) to Valencia's Oceanografic(o). Even so it's a superb place and well worth a visit.

I am not great on verbal description of things watery and I think you might be better off going straight to the website and taking the virtual tour. However, for what it's worth:

1.) There is a vast central tank that accommodates creatures up to sharks and is seen as the Global ocean.

2.) Surrounding this and reached by a sort of high footbridge, there are two levels, one terrestrial and one submarine.

3.) On the other side from the global ocean on the terrestrial level there are areas representing North Atlantic, Antarctic, temerate Pacific and Tropical Indian.

4.) on the submarine level there are tanks for the same four areas but there is also water overhead and it, cleverly but falsely, made to apear as though it joins to the global ocean. There are also many smaller tanks for each area.
Africancrab says:
Interesting.
Posted on: Sep 20, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Oceanarium

Lisboa (Portugal) a good place to go ....
Lisbon- Lisboa  (Portuguese: Lisboa, IPA: ) is the capital and largest city of Portugal. It is the seat of the district of Lisbon and capital of the Lisbon Region. Its municipality has a popula…Lisbon Oceanarium (Oceanário de Lisboa, the largest in Europe); the Museu do Design at Centro Cultural de Belém (Design Museum…
The sun fish Vasco da Gama
During the last few days, we had all been pretty much separated. So, to do something together, with my parents and brother and sister and her friend, I proposed to visit the Lisbon aquarium.The Ocean…Lisbon aquarium. The Oceanarium of Lisbon is a big one, the second largest in the world! And it is located…

Check Lisbon Hotel Deals