Ocean Pearl Inn

Ocean Pearl Inn Rates and Deals

Ocean Pearl Inn Yangon Reviews

gingerbatik gingerba…
Budget Inn close to Sule Pagoda Feb 06, 2013
I find this cheap budget hotel in Yangon from internet search and it is offer free airport pickup for hotel guest. The hotel staff was waiting in the airport with my name on a piece of paper and it is easy to find it. Unfortunately I have to wait a little bit over an hour at the airport for another guest who arrived on different flight before we finally go to the hotel.

It takes one hour ride from the airport to the hotel by car. The hotel owned by Myanmar Chinese and the check in is very fast and efficient; without any explanation of hotel service or breakfast time. The key was given to the bellboy and the bellboy was waiting nearby and quick to carry the bags up to the room as the hotel is four stories high and there is no elevator in the hotel.

My room is on the fourth floor, and the room itself is very basic, old, small with twin bed, old television, and nothing to hang or put the clothing in the room and not much space for luggage either. The en suite bathroom also small and basic with hot and cold water, and it seems the hot water is not working during our stay and we have cold shower most days with scream each time the water from hand held shower spray our body. Luckily air condition is working well and cooling the room with little noise. Wifi provide free in the room, including breakfast room and lobby. It cost USD 25 per night for single or double including breakfast.

Breakfast is very simple and same everyday; consist of toast, one egg (usually fried or thin plain omelets), bananas and tea or coffee. The tea is a bit funny, as the hotel doesn’t have a normal ready tea bag, so it is only tea leaves in the tea pot and have to drink the tea with the leaves on it.

The hotel location is within working distance to Bou Tou Tong Pagoda and Sule Pagoda and plenty of restaurants and local eatery next to the hotel, and along the street toward Sule Pagoda, and one big supermarket two blocks away which is handy to get cheap mineral water bottle, cake or snack. It takes around fifteen to twenty minutes walk to Sule Pagoda.

After 3 nights stay, we leave our bag at the hotel and promised to come back in one week time and book a room for that period. Unfortunately, one week later, when we were back to the hotel, no room for us and the receptionist start calling another guesthouse and hotel while we were waiting there.

I was not impressed with the service provided and it was not good and very unprofessional, they should confirm or provide room replacement at other hotel before we were back if the room in their hotel was fully book. We were tired after a long bus journal back to Yangon. Finally we decide to stay at another hotel a couple block away from this place, after we check it from the internet and confirm the price by phone.
the bathroom
twin bed
old television
halilee says:
Err whoops, guess it wasn't a feature. Still , a interesting and informative review to read. Thanks!
halilee says:
Congrats on your featured review! Sorry it wasn't a great experience for you though!
Cho says:
This hotel provides free airport pick up, but does not look very impressive. However, my friends in Yangon told me that the hotel situation in Yangon is still very critical and all rooms are full!
Posted on: Feb 28, 2013
tj1777 tj1777
Ocean Pearl Inn Dec 19, 2012
The Ocean Pearl Inn is located sort of the outskirt off the most central part of Yangon. It’s still a very good location and you can actually walk to Sule Paya which is the centre of the city - though considering the usual temperature in Yangon you might end up sweating a bit during your walk to and from Sule Paya. If you walk to the centre you can walk past a couple of Hindu temples and one of the few real western style supermarkets you will find in Myanmar.

The hotel is on a busy street leading down to one of the other main attractions of Yangon - the Botataung Pagoda. The street got a lot of traffic with lots of taxi’s passing by so it is never a problem to get a taxi if you want to go to the centre without breaking a sweat or you like to rent it for a day to do sightseeing.

The hotel appears pretty small and my room is located on the very top - there is no elevator so you have to get up the steep stairs to get to the room. Maybe due to the fact you have to walk up a couple of stairs the rooms are actually pretty quiet and I don’t notice any significant noise from the street within the room.

The hotel is a budget kind of hotel so there is not much fancy stuff about the room - but it got all the things you would expect to get in a hotel room. You got the air condition to combat the heat of Yangon which is ever present even during December which apparently is the coldest part of the year. There is a fridge which I think actually worked - this is only occasionally the case in hotels I have stayed at in Myanmar. There are an old style television and a bathroom and shower which have got hot water. As an added bonus there was actually hot water coming out of the shower head when you turned the hot water on - once again such an advanced featured is only occasionally the case in hotels in Myanmar.

There is free breakfast included in the price of the room. The breakfast is nothing fancy but there is a fried egg, toast and jam plus tea or coffee. If you need there is a laundry service which can be used at a reasonable price.

We actually liked the hotel so when we left we decided to book a room for when we would get back in six days and leave our luggage at the hotel. When we booked the manager said they didn’t have any immediate vacancies but something might show up in case somebody else cancelled. If there would be no cancelations he told us he would make sure to book a similar hotel for the day we got back. We thought this was fine so we agree to make a reservation under these conditions. But when we came back there were no available room at the hotel and they had made absolutely no effort searching for a room for us. This was very disappointing and it turned my opinion of the service from above average to below average.
The bed
The fridge and television
The toilet
The shower - with hot water
rheagirl says:
Congrats Mickey! :D
tj1777 says:
We did find somewhere else to stay. But it was still iritating we had to search after arriving instead of before we headed to Yangon.
simsing says:
Congrats on the feature, Mickey!
I was almost going to follow Hali and cogratulate the first review on this page.
adlime adlime
generally good with helpful staff Jul 20, 2011
room was clean, not a bug in sight. super comfy bed and pillow, slept like a baby. AC and water heater worked fine, did not experience any power cut at all. breakfast was basic but fortifying. staff are friendly and helpful; helped me to speak to the taxi driver to not only bring me to the bus station but also to show me which was the bus i needed to take. only change money there if need to, otherwise they'd tell you that you can get a better rate downtown at the market. i didn't quite mind the 20-minute walk to Sule Paya, lots of interesting things in between to discover. they were kind enough to give me a ride to the airport on the day i left since they were picking up guests there at the same time. if you make an online booking with them say a month in advance, drop them an email again a day or two before you arrive to reconfirm.

Check Ocean Pearl Inn Rates and Deals