Ocean Free Tours

Cairns, Australia

Ocean Free Tours Cairns Reviews

armchairathlete armchair…
A Barrier Reef Trip with a Difference. Aug 04, 2008
I chose Ocean Free after reading a recommendation on this site and because my brother- (confirmed water-phobe!) had used them before. Also I didn't want to choose an outfit where I'd be one of a couple of hundred divers/snorkellers who were lobbed off a huge boat into the same patch of water. I thought it'd be bit like an aqua version of the M25, for UK readers- pick any other busy and sometimes static motorway (freeway) for non UK folk!

Ocean Free offer 2 options and I went for the one on the yacht as it took fewer passengers and looked a more relaxing day all round.

It was splendid, from the coffee and muffins on arrival on board, the humourous safety briefing on the way out to the dive itself. My two instructors were very helpful on our dives and were at pains to point out interesting items. They struck just the right balance between being around just in case, and giving you freedom.

Although I'd dived before, many moons ago, there is introductiory dive option for newbies, which got a rave review from a fellow passenger.

For non-divers, snorkelling equipment was available, and again, insrtuction was given and assistance available for those who needed it.

If all you wanted to do was go along for the ride, then that's an option too.

There is an option to leave the yacht and wander round Green Island- transfer by dingy- for an hour or two where there's plenty to do.

Lunch on board the yacht was excellent and plentiful and the day was topped off on the return journey when the sails went up and the motor went off.

If you're looking for a quick reef visit, then this isn't for you, but if you want something more personal, then I'd heartily recomend this trip.
Sails ahoy!
darkarrow darkarrow
Jun 08, 2006
This tour took us out to the Great Barrier Reef where we moored off of a place called the Green Island. On the way out we got to see dolphins swimming next to the boat. The boat was very clean and the crew was very nice, energectic and informative. They interacted with everyone making everyone comfortable. When we got to the Green Island they provided us with a lunch that was very good and had a bit of variety to choose from. The crew that did the diving helped to explain the things we needed to know before going under and they pointed out the different items and if you had a question about something, when we got back on the boat they explained what we had a question about. They definately knew their stuff. On the way back they dropped all the sails and really opened the boat up for a fun trip back to the docks. Definately recommend them.
Me, Steph and the crew
armchairathlete says:
Thanks for this. Looks a decent outfit. I think I'll be booking with them.
Posted on: Jun 17, 2008