O2 Apollo Manchester

0161 273 6921

O2 Apollo Manchester Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Manchester Apollo Nov 27, 2009
The Manchester Apollo is an incredible venue on the outskirts of the city centre of Manchester. To get there, you have to walk North-ish out of the centre, past the station and under the Mancunian Way, and follow the crowds of gig going people. There is a very small likelihood of anyone else walking on these streets, so if the person in front of you is young-ish and cool-ish, follow them.

Opened as a cinema in the golden age of cinema going, the stage is an actual stage, surrounded by art deco decoration, a rich, curving ceiling, and a balcony area for seated ticket holders. It’s actually a genuinely beautiful building, and worth a trip for the décor. The standing ticket area slopes down under the balcony to the stage, which is raised properly, giving us shorter music fans a slightly higher than average chance of seeing the band whilst staying out of the mosh pit. The amp stacks are raised up in impressive towers next to the stage, which saves the people at the front from having to stand where they can feel the air from the amps. I’m not great at telling the difference, but the sound quality seemed pretty decent to me, and the view and layout is certainly better than most of the Carling Academy venues.

Manchester crowds are a little more boisterous than the crowds I’ve been used to in Bristol, with a little healthy disregard for authority. This manifested itself in the fact that several people were (shock!) smoking in the venue. I’d imagine most of my readers are either going “so what?” or “thank goodness!” but it is worth noting that this is an old fashioned venue, in that you are going to walk out smelling of smoke and spilled beer. My boots have still not recovered. I am old enough to view this as what a real gig means, but my younger friends attend gigs in posh high heels and nice tops and so it’s worth warning you not to.

The Apollo, unusually for a lot of venues I’ve been to lately, actually has more of a focus on the acoustics that on helping you to exchange money for lukewarm lager. This means that the bar queues are impressive, but so is the music. In fact, focussing on the music means that I forgot to take photos, so you will have to go there yourself (or check their website out).

Check Manchester Hotel Deals