Norwich Cathedral

01603 626589

Norwich Cathedral Reviews

b33tlejuice b33tleju…
Beautiful history to visit. Aug 18, 2013
Norwich has many historical buildings, but the the cathedral is probably one of the most beautiful. It stands proud amongst the surrounding area and can be seen on the skyline from some distance. It hosts a small cafeteria and shop area, modern toilets. The grounds are quite large as they have a large green area in the middle of it. It has a normal area for religious followers and events are held regularly. Definetely a place to visit just to see whether religious or not.
sarahelaine sarahela…
Norwich Cathedral May 23, 2010
Norwich cathedral is lovely, and I am very disappointed that my photos were lost when my phone broke. Luckily, it isn’t nearly as obscure as some of the places I go, so if you google search it, you can see for yourself.

Norwich cathedral is in the old part of town, which much to my surprise, is pretty much intact medieval. You walk to it through narrow little lanes and amazing crooked houses. The grounds include the ruins of an infirmary from the middle ages, and a herb garden. Because the cathedral is in a hollow, you don’t get the full affect of the building until you come through one of the medieval gates. The cathedral is in light coloured stone, with a steeple rather than a tower. You enter through the cloisters and an exhibition space, which when we went had a photography prize exhibition in it.

The church itself has elegant Norman arches, and a surprising amount of original painted features. Nationally, most of these were lost in the reformation, and it’s always cool to look at a painted ceiling and know that not only is it almost always 600 years old, but it survived several attempts to destroy it. There is also some lovely stained glass, some of which is medieval too (and how on earth it survived the reformation and the bombs in the second world war is beyond me…) and a couple of really cool medieval graves. The roof is fantastic – the bits that aren’t painted are either spectacular vaulting or cool wood carvings.

There is good disabled access via the exhibition centre, and nice toilets. The “suggested donation” of £5 is hard to avoid giving, but cathedrals are expensive to maintain so I don’t grudge it too much, except that it is stretching the definition of “suggested” when you would have to tell the nice lady to her face that you don’t want to contribute.
davidx says:
I can sympathise with your loss of photos. I had a digital camera stolen in Arequipa in Peru with irreplaceable photos on it.
Posted on: Jul 30, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Norwich Cathedral

Norwich. Who knew?
I’ve been to Norwich several times over the years, and to be honest, never really considered it worthy of a blog entry.  I’d seen the shopping malls, which are very much like every other sho…Norwich is worth exploring a little more than I thought.   The cathedral in particular is lovely.  I think…

Check Norwich Hotel Deals