Check Miami Beach Hotel Deals
Norwegian Epic Miami Beach Reviews
Norwegian Epic Jan 04, 2011
Some facts about the ship launched by Norwegian Cruise Lines in July 2010
length: 1080 feet
draft: 28.5 feet
speed: 22 knots
+ currently one of the best ships for Solo Cruisers due to up to 128 Studio Staterooms with no singles supplement and a common Living room for solo travelers to meet and have a drink
+ plenty of outdoor sports activities like wall climbing, basketball, three water slides, 4 pools,
+ a bunch of different bars and restaurants of all different flavors. Japanesem Chines, steak house, pizzeria, Italian specialities, bistro and french cuisine etc. you can hardly try them all in one week
+ pool-bar called H20 Spice for adults only and the first Ice-Bar on a cruise ship
+ most onboard entertainment shows free of charge
+ booking for special restaurants, shows and tour programs is very easy (convenient over internet before your cruise starts or via TV in your cabin. If you are not used to pre bookings it can be more a concern for you.
+ very friendly staff. Single travelers get special service from the animation team to organize themselves better or attend dinner or shows together
not so good
- cabins a rather cmall. Balcon Cabins are in wave form, not much space next to bed. Studio Cabins are realy tiny. Nevertheless the interior design is pleasing and thought through. It looks like they packed rather more rooms on the dekcs than giving the space to the passengers. If it's too small for you you can always looks for one of the suites :-)
- onboard entertainment program is set up for tourists to be entertained almost 24/7 or rushed via special offers to shopping, casino or Bingo events. Don't be surprised if the first thing you hear in the morning is the public speaker announcement of the Assistant Cruise Director wishing you a good morning and letting you know when Bingo at the Casino deck is starting .-)
- for people not used to book things ahead, or play around with the TV consule on their own, the freestyle concept might end in frustration, because of shows which are booked out and limited choice of complimentary restaurants.
- pool deck will get very crowded and loud. People looking for a quiet place on this ship would need to spend their time on the private balcony or on the very high deck 18, where no service is offered and sometimes it gets very windy. There is also a nude deck for sun tanners where I have never seen anyone in two weeks :-)
- Don't be shocked if you see people with buckets of beer on the pool deck. This is a concept of freestyle cruising, Buy 5 get one free and an icy bucket. Sure you can order only one bottle at a time but the waiter will look strangely as if you can't afford more. If depends on you if you have a problem with buckets of alcohol next to playing kids or not.
Overall I think the ship is ideally for families or single travelers who don't want to pay more for their single studio cabin. Based on budget you are willing to spend you can get nice balconys cabins or suites or add yourself a spa pass for the cruise. The cruises are typically 1 week, with the possibility to add another week for those with more vacations days. For example first week western Caribbean, then eastern one. 2011 there are also attractive offers in Europe.
link of caribbean west and east cruise to be posted here
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!