Norumbega

Check Camden Hotel Deals

Norumbega Camden Reviews

vances vances
Castle on the Maine Coast Feb 08, 2008
If you are looking for something special to savor during your Maine vacation, a stay at Norumbega in Camden will provide you with a memorable experience. This is a bona fide mansion, built in the 1880’s by Joseph Stearns, a native Mainer who was the inventor of duplex telegraphy (which he sold to Western Union for a tidy sum!). Stearns adored Camden and once he decided to build Norumbega, toured Europe to study castles and perfect his design. If you’ve ever been through Camden, you will doubtless recall the building, a stunning landmark in one of the prettiest coastal villages anywhere.

There are twelve different rooms available, most with European names and each chock full of period decorations. I reserved the penthouse (which spans the entire third floor) as a Christmas present for my wife years ago and it was terrific. I say that because there is a certain Victorian air hovering over Camden, and staying at Norumbega makes it palpable. Since times have changed and we have to have modern conveniences, there are a lot of high-tech appliances embedded which can make the feeling a bit clunky, although we certainly appreciated the deluxe hot tub in the penthouse!

The grounds of Norumbega are also delightful and it sits just back from the ocean. We enjoyed phenomenal views from our penthouse porch! The service was polite and polished, if a bit staid – but all part of that Victorian charm. Norumbega can add a nice touch of old world charm to your visit and best of all, affords a great reference point. Everyone I’ve ever met who has passed through Camden recalls the ‘castle’, and they will want to hear all about Norumbega once you’ve informed them that you had the pleasure of staying there.

10/23/10 - So I finally made it back to Norumbega with my camera...so I deleted the former pictures swiped from the internet with some of my own. Only downside was that I rang the doorbell and they wouldn't allow me to take any pictures inside...even though I told them I had rented the penthouse out for a couple nights once!
Norumbega Inn, Camden, Maine
Norumbega is an exquisite replica …
I love the bench on the front lawn.
Here you are...time to unpack the …
Sweetski says:
What a shame you couldn't photograph the interior, but I'm proud of you for shooting the exterior :)

Also nice: whenever I read one of your reviews, I always learn new words. Thank you for your eloquent writing.
Posted on: Oct 26, 2010
genetravelling says:
wow. could easily pass for scotland.
Posted on: Oct 25, 2010