Northern Heights Rock Gym

Northern Heights Rock Gym - me attempting the bigger overhang

Northern Heights Rock Gym Grand Forks Reviews

alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
Bringing the Mountains back to North Dakota Feb 19, 2009
Rock climbing is a fun activity but its hard to climb when you live in a flat place like North Dakota. Luckily Grand Forks has a rock climbing gym located in a mall! It looks a little rough and basic at first glance, but though seemingly crudly constructed, it is well maintained and has several well placed routes for all skill levels.

You can learn to belay, hire a belayer or climb using an auto belay. They offer equipment rental and do special events like birthday parties. The wall itself is roughly rectangular with cracks, overhangs, sloping walls and flat walls. They are limited to 30 ft height due do the height of the mall. They label the routes a little strangely, ranging on a scale where 100 is the hardest. I'm not sure how this translates to the normal difficuly scale, but I think a "60" is around a 5.9 - 5.10.

We went as part of the UND geology club night at the gym where we received discounts. Normally it is $10 to climb and $5 to rent gear. The belay class is $5 or you can test out if you've climbed before. We found the routes to be a little hard, more geared towards the regular climbers. There are several easier routes since lots of families with kids stop by for a quick climb. I felt like they needed some more medium routes.

Other than that, it was a fun way to spend a few hours with friends and exercise without realizing you're exercising ;)
me attempting a small overhang
end of wall with overhang
belaying
me putting on my tiny shoes

Check Grand Forks Hotel Deals