North Peak Brewing Company

400 1/2 W Front Street, Traverse City, MI, USA
www.northpeak.net - (231) 941-7527
North Peak Brewing Company - Bar is island style, but could use more seating.
North Peak Brewing Company - Wood bins hanging from the ceiling. Not practical but nice decoration.
North Peak Brewing Company - The brewing equipment.
North Peak Brewing Company - Today's brews on tap.

North Peak Brewing Company Traverse City Reviews

mslellen mslellen
Interesting brewery in an old warehouse. Mar 23, 2010
North Peak Brewing company is in an old building that was originally a candy factory, located in the warehouse district of Traverse City. It had been remodeled since the last time I was there. Now it has pine paneling and booths as well as wall fireplaces and wood storage hanging from the ceiling. It must be for decoration because having wood bins that high up isn't a practical storage method - but it still looks cool.

When you first come in the door, the brewing equipment and tanks are in a glassed in area so you can see them. Going up the stairs you'll see the bar in the center of the room. They have a brew club so it looked like there were a lot of locals there.

Our waitress was very nice and helpful with the beer selection. I chose my usual - a red beer, Steelhead Red - and it was very pleasant tasting. The others all had pale ales. (They're such wimps) Denny had a bottled beer that is made by this brewery but at a different location.

We had an order of pretzel bread which was good. (But not as good as my homemade) It also came with a cheddar ale sauce, but no one really cared for it.

For dinner Anne had the chicken fettuccine which had sundried tomatoes and artichoke hearts. She ordered it as her favorite and it looked really good, but very rich. Doug had the pretzel crusted walleye which is excellent and I've had it before. The grilled hanger steak was also excellent. The kids ordered the Quesadilla appetizers for their meals.

Now don't get me wrong on this, because the food here is quite good and the restaurant is very consistent in their food quality. However I had ordered the Shepherds Pie since it was made with lamb and the potatoes had Gouda cheese in them. The bowl was huge and I was immediately impressed. But the potatoes were just a criss-cross pattern on the top, very little and to me the pie is about the potato topping. They weren't even browned, just piped on. But the stew itself - disappointing. I only had 2 pieces of meat (not lamb) and 3 carrots - everything else was just gravy. We were in a large group and I didn't want to make a big deal out of it, but I do think they should know when a customer is not happy. Fortunately the waitress could tell something was wrong and asked privately. She offered another meal, but everyone was finished eating so she took it off my bill.

I would still recommend the restaurant, it's interesting and smells really good from the open kitchen smells and wood burning. They have a big open hearth oven for pizzas and the beer is great. I also like that they are not part of a chain which means we are supporting local business.
Bar is island style, but could use…
Wood bins hanging from the ceiling…
The brewing equipment.