Noodles 28

(212) 717-6688

Noodles 28 New York Reviews

callmechia callmech…
Awesome affordable Viet-Chi on the East Side! Aug 30, 2009
There are so many generic Chinese restaurants in New York, and for the most part they're all the same. Chicken with Black Bean Sauce, Wonton Soup, BBQ Spareribs, Shrimp fried rice; they're all staples at any given "Chinese" restaurant you find. Most of the time, the menu offerings at these places are all the same, and the tastes are all dumbed-down for the bland American palate. Well, NOT Noodles 28! I'm not a huge American-Chinese restaurant person, but Noodles 28 isn't you're average Chinese restaurant!

Why is it called "Noodles 28?", you ask. Well, the flagship restaurant is located on 29th and 3rd, right by the 28th St. stop on the subway.

They do the majority of their business through take-out. Don't expect too much ambience if you're planning to actually sit down and eat there.

What makes Noodles 28 unique is that it serves both Chinese & Vietnamese cuisine. While many other Chinese restaurants attempt something similar by hybridizing sushi and Japanese-style items into their menus, they often miss the mark and fail epically. Not Noodles 28. They prepare both equally well. Pretty much everything I've had from them has been great -- and they have such an extensive menu, and I've been there so many times, that's saying something!

While a lot of things here are delicious, the dumpling and noodles dishes are where this place really shines. Get the House Dumplings Combo for $10.50 - if you only want to try one kind, I gotta recommend the Veggie dumplings (among the best in NY!). They also offer a selection of different Noodle dishes: you pick any style of noodle, any topping (roast chicken, tofu, duck, even wontons), and then specify whether you want it all served in a big bown of soup or stir-fried.

As I am more a fan of Vietnamese food, I will admit that I haven't tried any of the Chinese-style dishes aside from appetizers and General Tso's Tofu. But they were both great, so I can only hope the other items are just as good.

If you're in the area around lunchtime (which goes until 5, an hour later than everyone else's), be sure to check out their Lunch Specials. At $8.95, you get any one of 30 different selections, with choice of soup. That's a pretty darn good deal for lunch in the Upper East Side!

If I have to say something negative, some of their entrees can cost upwards of $20. That's an average price for NY, but still high. I also find the Summer Rolls to be disappointing (dry and not much to them, for $6 they're a total ripoff) and the Bun (which is also somewhat lacking and can go for up to $16!). For great Bun, check out the Saigon Grill... but that's another review altogether!

All that said, Noodles 28 *IS* geared toward an American clientele. You're not going to get the same eccentricities on the menu as you would, say, someplace in Chinatown where the menus aren't even in English. This aspect of Noodles 28 could be considered a drawback for people who are looking for a more authentic Chinese or Vietnamese dining experience. Even if it's not exactly "exotic", the food here is extremely tasty, by anyone's standards.

I honestly love Noodles 28. I often joke about how it's my favorite restaurant in New York, but I'm only half-kidding. If I know I'm going to be in the city just for a day or a couple of hours, I honestly order takeout from Noodles 28 every single time. Their dumplings are that good. Their Noodle dishes are that good. Actually, everything is that good! Give Noodles 28 a try!

Check New York Hotel Deals